Today is a gorgeous day here in Vancouver. Dave and I went on an excursion to the Woodland Tulip Festival. Dave is out planting some hyacinths in our front yeard right now. I had to take it slow, but totally enjoyed myself at the festival. We ate a late breakfast at Oak Tree Restaurant in Woodland--yum!
Dave reminded me that some blog readers haven't heard the full story of why I need an aortic valve replacement. A few years ago, my primary care doctor at Kaiser told me that I have a heart murmur. It has probably been there since birth, but I've been pretty healthy except for my bout of diabetic nerve damage in 2001, so maybe that's why it wasn't previously detected. He sent me for annual echocardiograms. Last year's echo showed a little blockage. This year's echo, which I had done on April 8 (Jonathan's 20th birthday), showed severe aortic stenosis, which is a hardening and blockage in the valve. I didn't realize that I had also been experiencing shortness of breath, fatigue, dizziness, and some other symptoms. I had thought that I was just severely out of shape! It was like boiling a frog slowly--the frog doesn't realize it's happening and then all of a sudden he's cooked.
The echo technician didn't tell me that anything was wrong. He said that my doctor would get the results in a week in two. But by the next day, the doctor had the results and sent me an email telling me about the problem and telling me that the cardiology department would be contacting me for an appointment. That phone call happened the next day. The cardiology appointment with Dr. Angel was set for Thursday, April 16. I was on pins and needles waiting for that appointment. In the meantime, I researched aortic valve stenosis online and thoroughly scared myself when I read that the only cure is surgery. By the time I had the appointment with Dr. Angel, and he told me the same thing, I was totally used to and accepting of the fact that surgery was needed. A big thank you to my good friend, Sandy Harwood, who accompanied me to that appointment since Dave was out-of-town working with a client in Sacramento.
Dr. Angel set up the angiogram and talked to me about the surgery. He was very kind and patient and didn't rush the appointment. I also had an EKG that day in preparation for the angiogram which will happen tomorrow, May 20. He said they like to wait a few days after that to have the surgery. So this has all come up very fast, which I guess is good. It is by the grace of God that I am able to accept this challenge that I am facing. The prognosis is good, which helps tremendously, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment