Monday, June 21, 2010

Wind Turbines Near Ellensburg

IMG_4741 Dave left bright and early this morning at 7 am to attend his football officials camp at Central Washington University in Ellensburg.  A friend picked him up, so I had the car all day.  I discovered that there was a wind turbine visitor’s center nearby.  I am fascinated by the giant wind turbines.  The Wild Horse Wind and Solar Facility is located about 16 miles east of Ellensburg, along the Old Vantage Highway.  This museum is run by the Puget Sound Renewable Energy Center.  IMG_4744 PSE’s Wild Horse Wind and Solar Facility is the largest privately owned wind energy facility in the Northwest.  PSE’s Hopkins Ridge in Dayton, WA, is the second largest.  Together, the Wild Horse and Hopkins Ridge Facilities generate enough energy to serve approximately 100,000 homes.  IMG_4746 Set on a ridge above the Kittitas Valley, PSE’s Renewable Energy Center offers up-close views of the wind turbines and solar arrays, as well as the Cascade mountain range.  I saw Mount Rainier, Mount Adams, and a tiny bit of Mount Hood.  Below is a picture looking towards the west at Mount Rainier.IMG_4742 Located at 3,500 feet of elevation on Whiskey Dick Mountain, Wild Horse is a place of extreme weather.  Temperatures range from 0 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit, with maximum recorded wind gusts exceeding 90 miles per hour. IMG_4754 This turbine blade looks small in the picture, but up close it’s huge!

The visitor’s center doesn’t charge admission fees and is open to the public from April through November.  It offers Wild Horse visitors a first-hand look at how energy can be made from the wind and the sun, as well as Central Washington’s natural and cultural history.  IMG_4766
An early windmill contrasted with today’s version.IMG_4752 Solar panels at the visitor’s center.

3 comments:

  1. Once again, glad to get caught up with you. I plan on updating my blog tomorrow. Tonight I am just reading blogs. We made the jump to Puyallup for the Taste of Tacoma without any problems.

    We love the town of Ellensburg. Have stayed at the Days Inn a couple of times in our travels to Boise. Someday we would like to go to the Ellensburg rodeo over Labor Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was on my trip to Fort Madison Iowa last week just out side of town was the Seimens Plant where they make those turbines, you are right the parts for the towers and blades are huge they ship the towers in sections that take two railroad flatcars each to carry. I think next time I go up there I will see if they have a plant tour. Be safe out there, Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow this post got past me...imagine that!

    What an incredibly interesting place!! Those blades are huge and what a difference in the early windmill and the current ones. Thanks for the tour and great pics!! Glad you had a good day! :)

    Mike & Gerri (happytrails)

    ReplyDelete