Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Rambling about e-readers and "Losing it with Jillian"

After the excitement of our short trip to Mount St. Helens, and then the excitement of meeting Ali and Ron and spending the afternoon and evening with them, this morning it was nice to sleep in and relax.  I resumed my usual weekly get-together with a couple of my good friends.  We usually meet in the coffee shop section of Barnes and Noble.  It's a nice place to meet, and other people must think so too, because they were crowded today.  Maybe it was that it was still raining.  What better place to spend a rainy afternoon than at a bookstore? 

Barnes and Noble is touting their new e-reader, the Nook.  It looks like a nice machine.  Whether or not it's better than the Kindle, I don't know.  At this point I can't justify getting an e-reader, but if we traveled more it would be really handy to be able to carry all those books in a little e-reader.  I'm such a library fan, though, that it would hurt me to have to buy, rather than borrow, all the books that I want to read.

The Nook e-reader.  Is this the way of the future?

On another topic, because of the rain, we had to exercise indoors again today.  We watch TV while we exercise because it distracts us, makes the time go faster, and kills two birds with one stone.  Today's program of choice was Jillian Michaels' new program on NBC, "Losing It With Jillian".  It's an hour-long show which features Jillian coming to people's homes for a week to teach them how to lose weight, get fit, and eat right.  It's like a mini "Biggest Loser" show, but the people don't come to the ranch, and there's no contest to win $250,000.  We like the first episode, and it felt good to be exercising while Jillian was yelling at the people and putting them through the paces!  Click here to learn more about the show.

 

3 comments:

  1. I haven't splurged into the e-books yet either. I have looked at the Kindle but haven't purchased. I am always the slow one to get into new things. I like to hold my books and like you, I like the libraries where I can sample lots of different titles.
    Good for you all....doing the exercise thing. I really need to get into that. I haven't even walked lately.
    Take care!!
    Mike & Gerri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Sony eBook reader and really like it as it's smaller than the Kindle or Nook and feels like a real book. Most libraries now have eBooks that can be downloaded to your eReader and borrowed just like any other books you get from the library. The books stay "readable" for the same times as normal books that are borrowed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom and Dad just bought me a nook and I've pulled some books down from the library - it's wonderful! The Kindle doesn't have that capability yet, but I'm sure they'll add it at some point. I had the same thought about having to buy books, but google also has a lot of free books through their project, so it's working out.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete