Monday, June 28, 2010

Visual Field Test

Today I had an appointment at the Kaiser optometry office for a visual field test.  This test measured my peripheral vision.  The visual field test helps the ophthalmologist monitor any loss of vision and diagnose eye  problems and disease.  I had a diabetic eye exam a couple of weeks ago and the doctor wanted this follow-up test done.

The test was performed by a technician.  I sat in front of a machine with my chin and forehead touching the machine.  The eyes are tested one a time, with the non-testing eye covered by a patch.  I had to focus on a small light near the top of the screen. I had a clicker in my hand.  A computer displayed quick pinpricks of light and I clicked the button whenever I saw a light.  The computer then automatically mapped and calculated my visual field. 

I will find out the results of this test in a week or so.  The test was frustrating because when I blinked, I sometimes missed the light being displayed.  I hope I did well on this test, which would show that my peripheral vision is fine.  Loss of peripheral vision is an early sign of glaucoma.  Whatever the results, I will have to learn to deal with it!

This machine is similar to the one used in the vision field test.

Vision Field Test 3 Vision Field Test 2

2 comments:

  1. Well, we'll just have to think good positive thoughts and say a prayer that things will turn out good for you. Please let us know when you find out.

    Thinking of you!
    Mike & Gerri (happytrails)
    http://freedom2roll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our daughter has congenital glaucoma and it is good you are getting checked. Our daughter was born with her disease but we didn't discover it until she was 2 years old. She is almost blind in her left eye. Any type of glaucoma is nothing to take lightly. Hope everything checks out well for you!

    ReplyDelete