Friday, June 18, 2010

Nostalgia and Wanderlust

I would like to welcome my latest blog followers, Kenny and Angela.  Thanks for following along on my journey! 

We will be at home for one more day and then on Sunday morning we leave for Ellensburg, WA.  Dave is going to be a mentor at a football officials camp held at Central Washington University in Ellensburg.  We'll take the motorhome, of course.  After the camp we'll stay at Alder Lake Park (a Tacoma Power Park) for a couple of nights and visit Mount Rainier National Park while we are there. 

Yesterday I blogged about my current hometown of Vancouver, Washington.  Today I am feeling nostalgic.  I was born in Osage, Iowa, and spent the first 22 years of my life there.  It's a small, rural town in northcentral Iowa and has a population of about 3400.  I poked around the internet and found these pictures.

 
Main Street

This was the public library, an Andrew Carnegie library.  This library started my life-long appreciation of libraries!

Mitchell County Courthouse in Osage

The church I grew up in, Our Savior's Lutheran Church

The fresh-water spring at Spring Park.  We always had to get a drink of the ice-cold spring water when we had picnics here by the Cedar River.

Sugar Creek ran through our farm, which was located on state Highway 9, on the west edge of town. 

Because my dad was a farmer, and we didn't have a hired man to do the chores, and we were poor, I can count on two fingers the number of times our family went on a one-night vacation.  Perhaps that is why I now have a wanderlust that doesn't quit!

5 comments:

  1. It was great to see some pictures of Osage - it sure looks like a nice town. Those old, small main streets are always nice places to visit too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, those were great photos today. I didn't remember that you were born in Iowa. I think Iowa is a great state (not counting those frigid winters). As a kid, we didn't get a lot of vacations and I think, like you, that is why Bruce and I love to travel so much. We'll go almost anywhere.

    Enjoy your time out on a new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been to Osage! If memory serves, we stopped there one day, took a picture of a delightful civic mural on the side of a building, then had lunch in a city park that had hookup sites for free. Can't beat free, and can't been small midwestern towns!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well...we have never been to Osage but I certainly enjoyed learning more about it. I love small quaint towns and this looks like one to put on the "stop and take a look" list.
    Thanks for sharing with us. Your pictures were great.
    You all have a safe trip (and fun) to Ellensburg.Wa.
    Take care!
    Mike & Gerri (happytrails)
    http://freedom2roll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just got back from Iowa, I absolutely love anywhere in Iowa, just good honest hard working country people no matter where yo turm, just like home in Dardenne Prairie Mo.We always enjoy going through small towns even when you have to slow to a crawl, A few years back we crossed Nebraska on old US 30 ratherv that the interstae. It was a great ride, and the small town diners, and town squares are great. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna

    ReplyDelete