Saturday, July 17, 2010

What’s on My iPod?

ipod classic Most people use their iPods to store music.  I do, too.  I have 1006 songs on my iPod.  I listen to classical music, Christian music, and in December, Christmas music.  

But my favorite part of my iPod is podcasts.  Listening to a podcast is like listening to a radio broadcast, only it’s on the iPod and I can listen any time I want.  Each show is usually 20-60 minutes long.  Most do not include commercials. 

For the longest time, I wondered “what is a podcast?”  I heard about them, they sounded interesting, but what were they?  If you are interested in the technological details, read this Wikipedia article about podcasting

An interesting fact about podcasts is that you don’t need an iPod or mp3 reader to play the files.  You can listen on your computer.  I maintain my podcasts (and my songs) by using iTunes.  It’s easy.  Podcasts get uploaded automatically each day as long as I am connected to the internet. 

Then I plug my iPod into a USB port on my computer and it automatically gets the changes, additions, and deletions that I’ve made to  iTunes.  The iPod is simply a small device that is portable and can travel with me around the house, the yard, in the car, and in the RV.  We can play the iPod through the speakers in our house, our car, and our motorhome.  It’s great!  And I only have to choose which of the thousands of podcasts or songs I want to listen to.

Yes, I have, at this moment, 1225 podcasts on my iPod, in addition to 1006 songs.  I used to use an iPod Nano, with 4GB of memory, but now I have an iPod Classic which holds 80GB.  That’s more like it!

Will I ever have time to listen to all those podcasts?  No, but I like knowing that they are there and that I CAN listen if I want to. 

My favorite podcasts are News from Lake Wobegon which is part of A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor, the Dennis Prager Show, the Dave Ramsey Show, Renewing Your Mind with R.C. Sproul, Truth for Life with Alistair Begg, and White Horse Inn with Michael Horton

If you want to learn even more, read this article about how to podcast.   What’s on your iPod?

3 comments:

  1. Carol,
    Thanks for the post about the Ipod. We don't have one yet, but can see the good uses for one. Also thanks for the link for more info on the ipod.
    Take care and be safe!
    Mike & Gerri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a 64GB iPod Touch and use it for pretty much everything except music and podcasts. Mostly, I use the wifi setup to use my device as a small computer - much like the iPad only smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have the iPod classic also, but right now it's only for music. We have 2646 songs, many of them classical, a lot from the 50's and 70's, plus another 69 we classify as "religious/inspirational." Have thought about loading photos, but don't know why we ever would. We may have to look into the Garrison Keillor Podcasts! Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete