Thursday, July 8, 2010

Oregon Lighthouses

After I blogged about Yaquina Head lighthouse yesterday, Jerry and Suzy of Our Life on Wheels asked if we had visited the other Newport lighthouse.  We didn’t visit it this trip, but we saw it in December of last year. 

Newport has two lighthouses, each very different from the other.  The names of the two are similar.  Yaquina Bay Lighthouse is located in town and Yaquina Head Lighthouse is  located about five miles north of Newport. 

Yaquina Bay Lighthouse, photographed 12-30-09Yaquina Lighthouse 2 10-30-09

It’s still on our to-do list to see the inside of this lighthouse.  I understand that the house is decorated like when the lighthouse keeper and his family lived there.  While it’s interesting to see the actual light, it’s also interesting to find out what their lives were like while tending to the lighthouse.  

Yaquina Head Lighthouse, photographed 7-6-10IMG_5475

 IMG_5482This picture on display inside Yaquina Head Lighthouse shows the layout in 1877 and in 1955.  All the buildings except for the lighthouse and the building attached to it are now gone. 

For lighthouse-lovers, Newport, and indeed, the entire Oregon coast, contains a wealth of lighthouses. Oregon has eleven lighthouses.  Click here to see pictures and a map of them.

Heceta Head Lighthouse, north of Florence, photographed 12-28-092 Lighthouse

We visited Heceta Head when we were in Yachats after Christmas last year.  We were fortunate to be there when the lighthouse was open and we got a guided tour of it.  Even though it was winter and cold, we had sunshine that day!

Dave and I like to visit lighthouses.  We have only seen a few of the ones on the Oregon coast, because most of them are located on the southern part of the coast and we live nearer to the northern part of the coast.  There’s always more to see!

5 comments:

  1. We have never seen a lighthouse it looks interesring and I will put it on our bucket list.

    Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information on lighthouses in Oregon. One day we hope to see some of them. I can certainly see why you and Dave like to visit them. You are right....there is always more to see. Have fun.

    Mike & Gerri (happytrails)
    http://freedom2roll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice lighthouse pics. I'll be adding those to my list of things to see when we visit the Oregon Coast next spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Carol! Thanks for the link to Our lIfe on Wheels. We can use all the publicity we can get. Like you and Dave, we enjoy visiting lighthouses. Heck, we enjoy visiting darn near anything! It's the going and seeing and doing something different that makes the RV life most interesting. Also, it's the togetherness of it for Suzy and me. We've been together now just 3 weeks short of 50 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carol & Dave

    So good to get caught up with you again. Seems like that is how I start all my comments lately as I just don't have much time reading blogs...but when I get the time I love getting caught up.

    We are going to be in Portland next week. Not sure where the carnival will be or what our days off will be. Glad to hear you are getting a visit in with your son. Wish him good luck at the academy. I am sure he will do great.

    Love the pictures of the lighthouses and Depoe Bay. We so enjoy that area.

    ReplyDelete