We decided to stay one more day at Mallard Creek. Dave didn’t play golf today, so we headed for the coast. It took a couple of hours each way to get there and back, but the sun was out and the weather was warm, so it was a perfect day to go to the coast.
Our first view of the Pacific Ocean as we headed west on US Highway 20 into Newport, Oregon
We drove to Depoe Bay so that we could eat lunch at the Chowder Bowl restaurant, one of our favorite places. Then we walked across Highway 101 to admire the rocky coast at Depoe Bay, known for being the world’s smallest harbor.
The Pacific Ocean at Depoe Bay, Oregon
As we headed back south on Highway 101, we stopped at Devil’s Punchbowl, an Oregon State Park. It was low tide, so this wasn’t as impressive as it could have been, but was still interesting.
Devil’s Punchbowl State Park
Surfers at Devil’s Punchbowl
Then we headed to Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area, our destination for the day. This is a federal park, so we were able to use our Interagency America the Beautiful Pass and save the $7 entry fee. This area has much to see, with the highlight being Yaquina Head Lighthouse, the tallest lighthouse on the Oregon Coast.
We walked up all 114 steps! The view at the top of the lighthouse
To read more about our day at the beach and to see more pictures, see Dave's blog.
Tomorrow morning we head for home. Our son, Jonathan, will be driving down to Vancouver from Bellingham, WA. We look forward to seeing him!
What a beautiful coastline!! I can't wait till I can say I have seen the Pacific Ocean. I literally grew up in the Atlantic Ocean (Daytona Beach, Fla.). I love the lighthouse. Thats another thing I have never done....gone up in a lighthouse and looked out. What a view!! Glad you all had such a good time. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing!!
Mike & Gerri (happytrails)
http//freedom2roll.blogspot.com
Terrific photos of the Oregon coastline and the lighthouse. It's one of my favourite areas for vacationing as there is just so much to see and do.
ReplyDeleteWe do remember that Yaquina Head Lighthouse, and yes, I climbed all 114 steps. What a great view. Have you seen the Yaquina Bay Lighthouse yet? Totally different design.
ReplyDeleteThanks for bringing back some wonderful Oregon memories!
You captured the pure beauty of the Oregon coast perfectly. Your pics were awesome. That little Depoe Bay is great. Loved taking this trip with you guys.
ReplyDelete