Flag flying at Lewis and Clark RV Resort This morning we said goodbye to Tom and Cindi and left Mill Casino RV Park at 9:15 am. We enjoyed our time there but now we are heading for home. Since it’s been hot at home the last couple of days, we are going to stay along the coast for the next two days. In order to make our drive home on Tuesday as short as possible, while still staying cool at the coast, we decided to spend the next two nights in Astoria.
We got the last site available at our favorite park in Astoria, Lewis and Clark Golf and RV Resort. We used the 1/2 price discount from Camp Club USA for the first night and paid for a $30 back-in site for the second night. During the winter this park allows unlimited nights at the 1/2 price amount, but during the summer they limit the discount to one night.
Alsea Bay bridge at Waldport It’s only 225 miles between Mill Casino and Lewis and Clark park in Astoria, but it took us seven hours to make the drive. Highway 101 is a beautiful drive, but it’s not known for speed. Lincoln City had lots of very slow traffic, as usual. Seaside takes a while to go through, but wasn’t too bad. We stopped at the Tillamook Ice Cream and Cheese place, but didn’t go inside because they looked very crowded. Besides, we didn’t want to be tempted by all those goodies.
Crossing the bridge at Newport
At Tillamook, we left the ocean and drove through dairy farm land
The train ride at Rockaway Beach was ready to leave
It’s hard to see the ocean through the trees
We were glad to get to Seaside because that meant we were almost at Astoria
This helicopter was giving tours
The last bridge we crossed before reaching the RV park
Today was spent driving. Tomorrow we plan to go for a bike ride along the Astoria waterfront.
Thanks for following along on our journey!
We have always enjoyed driving the scenic Hwy. 101 even though it is much slower than the interstate. Our first trip on that highway was on our honeymoon in 1969. I had never seen the big Redwood trees in No. California or the beautiful coastal views of Oregon before that. Once I saw it the first time, I was hooked!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the coolness of Astoria and have a safe trip home.
Such a beautiful drive, thanks for the pics. Not only was the ocean pretty to me but so were the trees. Doing that drive was a good choice, I can only imagine how neat the bike ride will be tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteTake care.
Mike & Gerri
Thanks for the senic picture drive, Wayne & our son have driven it but I have not been north of Florence so it was nice to see.
ReplyDeleteSome info on Picasa - the Geeks On Tour just posted the handouts for the class they teach. You can download them, this may help you out in trying to figure out the program. There are a couple other programs on there too.
http://www.geeksontour.blogspot.com/
Safe travels home!
The name Tillamook rings a bell & I'm sure I have seen other bloggers these past few months in that area. I would say Oregon seems to be the most popular State for summer travel. Picasa has a 'Straighten' tool for leveling horizons & it only takes a couple seconds to do it. I have a bad habit of tilting my horizons so use it a lot. Flower pics....try getting your light source to shine through the flower petals instead of on them. Gives the colors kind of a neon look. Early morning is the best & softest light of the whole day. I also underexpose all my pics by just a tad to give them a richer look & deeper colors & you can generally make 'good' pictures better by using Picasa. Let me know if you have any questions about Picasa. I'm not to good on the technical end of things but might be able to help you on the creative side of Picasa a bit better.
ReplyDelete