Saturday, July 10, 2010

Odds and Ends and a Bit of a Rant

Welcome aboard to my new blog follower, Karen.  Check out her blog, Country Living in Georgia.

Do you remember when I blogged about the Visual Field Eye Test that I took a couple of weeks ago?  I just heard that I passed the test and that no further testing will be needed until next year at this time.  I am thankful for the good news!

One of the minor inconveniences of owning a stick house as well as an RV is that both need to be maintained.   When we got back from our long weekend at Mallard Creek, we turned onto our street and discovered there was some broken glass on the street.  It looked like a broken beer bottle.  Very inconsiderate people occasionally throw fast food bags and empty beer bottles out their car window as they drive on our street.  I don’t know if it’s because we have a field in front of our house, or if they do this in other neighborhoods, too.

The empty lot in front of our houseIMG_5550

The broken glass was on our neighbor’s part of the street, but since they live on the corner, they don’t drive or park in the area where the broken glass was.  Dave and I painstakingly cleaned up the mess, but it was not a good feeling to come home to broken glass in  the street.  On the other hand, we were thankful that our house was still standing after the fireworks that take place in our neighborhood every 4th of July.

A magnified view of Mount St. Helens from our houseMount St. Helens from our house

Vancouver and the rest of the Pacific Northwest have been having   a heat wave the last few days.  We generally get one or two really hot weeks during each summer.  I know that we are lucky that it’s only for a few days or weeks and not during the whole summer. 

Nevertheless, it’s uncomfortable because many people don’t have air conditioning.  We didn’t have it in our old house in Camas, where we lived for 13 years before we moved a few miles west to Vancouver.  Now we have a heat pump that also provides us with wonderful air conditioning.

Flowers in our neighborhood before the heat waveIMG_5132

Thank you all for the complimentary comments about our younger son, Jonathan’s preparations for his new adventure at.  I know it sounded like a bit of bragging, but I think we are entitled to do so once in a while.  Some day I will give equal time and brag about our older son, Tim.  He’s pretty special, too!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the good report regarding your eye exam. I know that is a welcome relief!
    It is a shame when people abuse neighborhoods or any public areas. We see that so often here in this campground. It just makes things harder for those of us to clean up and then it also defaces how things look. I am so sorry you had to come home to that mess.
    Love that view of Mount St. Helens!

    I believe ALL mothers have bragging rights! You have every reason to be proud of a son that has chosen to help others by his career choice. We need more men like him.
    Again...our best wishes go with him.

    Take care!
    Mike & Gerri (happytrails)
    http://freedom2roll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, I tried twice yesterday and again this morning to send you a comment about Jonathan. I'm here for one last attempt. (The system would not take me to the word verification box, it just shut down each time. I've had the same problem with Rick and Paulette.)

    I was trying to say that we agreed with all the comments about Jonathan, and were adding that he seems very at ease in front of a camera, poses well in action or contemplative mode. So many folks freeze up in front of a camera of just stand there like a wooden soldier. "Here's a picure of Aunt Sophie standing by the car near Moose River!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news on the Field Test results. Bad news about that broken glass. I think there are just so many rude, inconsiderate and mean people in the world. Hopefully...they're the minority!!

    ReplyDelete