Monday, July 5, 2010

A Bridge, a Park, and a Lake

Today I was a golf widow, so I took my friend, Dennis, on a short road trip.  Dennis Prager, that is, and on my iPod, not in person.  He keeps me company when I go on road trips, and keeps my mind busy while my eyes are busy taking in the scenery. 

Don’t worry, I am VERY CAREFUL when I snap pictures while I am driving! Here I am driving east on US Highway 20 west of Sweet Home, Oregon.IMG_5339 After leaving Mallard Creek RV and Golf Resort, I drove about 25 miles and then came to Linn County’s most eastern covered bridge, Short Bridge.IMG_5346 IMG_5354 Short Bridge, built in 1945, is the sole survivor of the covered bridges which crossed the south fork of the Santiam River.  It’s one of the few remaining in the county to have a wooden shingle roof.   When the bridge was built, it was known as the Whiskey Butte Bridge but was renamed for a long-time resident, Gordon Short.

The view from each side of  Short Bridge.

IMG_5351 IMG_5350 

Cascadia State Park is located just a couple of miles east of Short Bridge. IMG_5368 IMG_5366  I explored the park and walked on the Soda Springs Trail.IMG_5388 IMG_5378

The view of the Santiam River from the Cascadia State Park bridge.IMG_5370

From Cascadia, I headed back to Lebanon after stopping to admire Foster Lake.IMG_5420 IMG_5415 IMG_5401 IMG_5409 IMG_5396

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful drive you took us on today. I especially loved the Soda Springs Trail and Foster Lake. Both are just gorgeous. It looked like a nice day weather wise also. Your pics are, as always, terrific.

    Take care and enjoy!
    Mike & Gerri (happytrails)
    http://freedom2roll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful pictures of just beautiful country. And another covered bridge we have yet to visit. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete