I would like to welcome my new blog followers, Kimberly and Jerry. Check out their blog, Hit the Road JACK.
Yesterday was our busy day touring the Washington State Patrol Academy in Shelton, Washington, northwest of Olympia. Today we headed south instead of north. We’re spending the night at Armitage County Park in Coburg, OR, which is just north of Eugene. This is our first time camping here. This park is 2.5 hours from our home. It’s located near I-5, but we can’t hear any freeway noise. The cost per night for our site is $25.
This campground has spacious, paved full-hookup sites with 50 amp power. They have cable and free wifi. We have Verizon cell service and we picked an open site so we have a good satellite signal. We look forward to camping here again.
One of several spacious pull-thru sites
We didn’t have reservations and picked site #12 after we got here. Wifi antenna on the restroom building behind our site. Surprisingly, this park does not have showers.
There are five geocaches located in or near Armitage Park. We found three of them. This is the first time we combined riding our bikes with geocaching. It’s a little hard to do because the caches are usually not located on the road or bike path. But riding the bikes saved us from having to walk all over the park to find the caches, and with bikes, we were able to explore the entire park.
Armitage Park is located on the McKenzie River. Here, in 1875, the first white woman crossed the McKenzie River. Assisted by three friendly Indians, Mrs. Armitage and her husband crossed the river in their covered wagon and became some of the first settlers of the Willamette Valley.
Pedestrian bridge across the McKenzie River From the pedestrian bridge, an eastward view of I-5 crossing over the McKenzie River
Armitage Park from the pedestrian bridge
Tomorrow we head southwest from here and will meet up with our friends, Tom and Cindi, to spend a few days together in the Coos Bay, Oregon area.
Thanks for reading!
Interesting! I was just reading about the Mckenzie River! I enjoy your blog!
ReplyDeleteThe McKenzie River dredges up a memory from my childhood, but I was never at that river. My parents used to have placements (I think they got them with gasoline purchases one year), each with a different scenic view of Oregon. My favorite showed a fly fisherman standing in the McKenzie River with the trees all fall color orange and red and gold. I can still see that picture, and I'd love to stand where that man stood. Thanks for a wonderful visit to Armitage Park!
ReplyDeleteSo good to get caught up with you and Dave. Sounds like you had a good time at the academy. Can't wait to hear how Jonathon does there.
ReplyDeleteSorry we are missing you while we are in Portland. Next week we move to Hillsboro...our job this week is to find a place to dump between here and there. I am sure we will connect again sometime along the road.
Have a great day!
Thanks for the visit to Armitage Park. I love the spacious sights and the Mckenzie River is beautiful... good history about the first white woman to cross in 1875.
ReplyDeleteGlad you are still enjoying geocaching, it is fun and takes you to sometimes overlooked areas.
Take care and be safe.
Mike & Gerri.