Sunday, August 15, 2010

VA Medical Center, Portland, OR

Welcome to new blog follower, Gail Durham.   Check out her blog, Gail and TC's Travels.

IMG_6439

Dave has Veteran’s Administration (VA) medical coverage because he served in the Air Force for four years.  The VA has a clinic in Vancouver, but all the major appointments are held at the Portland Medical Center.  We know that place well because Dave had lung cancer surgery there five years ago.  IMG_6452-1

Dave needed a routine colonoscopy and was told a few weeks ago that the tests were back ordered.  He was surprised to get a phone call a few days ago telling him that the VA had gotten a grant and they were now able to do colonoscopies on Saturdays.  So he made an appointment for today, Saturday, August 14, at 11 am.IMG_6450

Saturday appointments are good, because the Medical Center is less crowded, the parking garage is less crowded, and there’s less traffic on the Portland freeways.  IMG_6451

I took the following panorama photo from inside the dirty windows, so the quality isn’t great.  The Portland VA is located “up on the hill” next to Oregon Health Sciences University (OHSU), and in fact, the two hospitals share doctors sometimes.  The top (ninth) floor offered a great view of the Willamette River and one of Portland’s many bridges.  pano-1

The results of the procedure were good.  Dave did great, and by 12:30 pm, I was able to drive him home.  We made, at his request, a stop at McDonald’s so he could EAT. 

This sign must have been working because I saw nary a pigeon.  Veterans, yes, pigeons, no!IMG_6449

7 comments:

  1. Glad to hear Dave's tests turned out well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad everything went well with the colonoscopy. That is something my doctor keeps suggesting I have and I haven't. I know I need to though.
    I bet that food tasted good. :-)

    Mike & Gerri (happytrails)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad the test results were good and things are going well. I didn't know Dave had had lung cancer. YIKES...so scary! I'm glad he is well now.

    I wish more people would have colonoscopies. I've had 2 and it really wasn't bad either time. They can save lives! Thanks for sharing this information about Dave getting his. This has been a great Public Service Announcement! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that Dave's test turned out okay. Was also surprised to learn about his battle with lung cancer. Glad that that too is behind you both.

    Taking a few minutes to read a couple of blogs before we head to work. Today and tonight is our very LONG day. We work the carnival till 6 or 7 and then Ron has tear down all night and then we immediately get on the road for Eugene, OR. I will be driving the first three or four hours.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad Dave's test went well..how nice that they are open on Saturdays!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad everything went well, how great the VA is now open on Saturday's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carol, that's a fine panoram! No problem at all with it. How well we remember that view, as Suzy had her right knee replaced at OHSU nearly six years ago. She had Kaiser coverage, but Kaiser's ortho folks were either on vacation or pregnancy leave, so they sent her to OSHU! So glad Dave's colonoscopy had good results. Now he can rest easy for another five years!

    ReplyDelete