Monday, April 19, 2010

Zion National Park, Shuttle Bus Tour

As Dave said in his blog, we had a short travel day today.  It took us a little less than an hour to get from St. George to Zion River RV Resort in Virgin, Utah, which is about 8 miles from the entrance to Zion National Park.

We solved the wifi problems and here I am, writing my blog via a wifi signal that has been extended by a device that we brought with us that goes on the window.  I don't have cell service here, but I can get my messages when we go to the visitor center at the national park. 

This afternoon we took the free shuttle bus ride up to the end of Zion Canyon.  Cars can drive to the visitor's center and to the museum, but then the bus turns off of Highway 9 and goes north where cars are not allowed from April 1 until the end of October.  The shuttle ride is narrated, so we learned about the history and some of the sights.  We got a good idea about which places we want to get off the shuttle and explore during the next few days. 

The visitor center's bookstore and gift shop is very complete.  I had a hard time not buying all those books!  We decided to buy a new national park passport book, which is the book where you can stamp the date and park name of each national park or monument that you visit.  You can also purchase stamps of the parks and new packages of stamps that come out each year.  We bought our old passport book twenty years ago on our first RV trips to Sequoia and Yosemite National Parks.  We've filled up most of the pages in the Rocky Mountain, Western, and Pacific Northwest regions.  It's fun to look back and see what the date was when we visited each of the parks.

First, here's a picture that I took from the RV park this evening:

And now, a few pictures taken from the shuttle bus tour:






And my favorite of today's pictures:

I hope you enjoyed this mini photo tour of Zion National Park!

1 comment:

  1. I did enjoy the tour of Zion. Your pics are beautiful and showed us a lot about the area and what is to be seen there. Continue your great adventure!

    ReplyDelete