Friday, April 16, 2010

St. George's Ancestor Square

St. George is a great place with great weather, at least this time of the year.  This afternoon I biked to the temple.  You can see the beautiful blue sky in the pictures of the St. George Temple.

Front view of St. George, Utah LDS Temple.

Side view of the temple.  I have to admire the architecture.

Flower bed in front of the temple.

This morning, while Dave played golf with his friends, (see his blog for an update), I explored the Old Town area of St. George called Ancestor Square.  The public library had a book sale, so of course, I had to visit it.
The impressive St. George library.

More of Ancestor Square near the library.  Children were playing in the fountain as well as in another water feature.

The federal courthouse.

The St. George Mormom Tabernacle, which I toured, and no, I didn't get converted.  The oddest thing about the tabernacle is a painting of an eye on the wall above the lectern.  It's supposed to be the "eye of God" watching you at all times.  The tabernacle was built before the temple and served as a meeting place for the St. George settlers, who were Mormons recruited from Salt Lake City to start a settlement here.  They raised cotton at that time and built this building while they were all still living in tents. 

Did you notice that my morning pictures showed the sky being a bit overcast?  The weather was a little chilly this morning (low 60s) and got progressively warmer and sunnier (temps in the low 80s) as the day went on.  I understand that's normal this time of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment