What do Alaska, snowbirding, women RVers, mini-dachshunds, and mysteries have in common? Answer: Fiction books by Alaskan author, Sue Henry. I just finished reading #4 in the Maxie McNabb Series of books about 60-something RVer Maxie and her faithful dog, Stretch. This book features Maxie at home in Homer, Alaska, forgoing her snowbird travels this year. As always, the books are a quick, cozy read, with Maxie landing in the middle of a mystery to solve. The first three books in the series are The Serpents Trail, The Tooth of Time, and The Refuge. The books don't have to be read in order, but they are more enjoyable that way.
Sue Henry has also written 13 books in her Jessie Arnold series, featuring Alaskan woman dog-sledder, Jessie Arnold. I enjoy reading that series, too, even though it doesn't contain anything about RVs. In the books, Jessie lives near Wasilla, Alaska, the town now known to the whole world as being the hometown of Sarah Palin.
I had two options for reading this book. A paperback version was waiting for me at my local library, and a library electronic version was loaded onto my Nook e-reader. I started reading the paperback and soon switched to reading on the Nook because the print was bigger and I didn't have to try and hold the paperback book open. Not all the books I want to read are available from the library, e-book collection, so unless I want to buy each book (I don't!), I will continue getting the physical books from our local library.
At home here in Vancouver, Washington, Dave and I woke up to almost three inches of snow this morning. The low temperature the next two nights is predicted to get down to 18 degrees. Dave shoveled our driveway and a path out back to our shop, and the snow is already starting to melt.
We had to make a trip into Portland this afternoon to pick up our motorhome. The refrigerator was being repaired, we thought, but evidently not, since the repair place couldn't get Norcold to agree to replace the expensive cooling unit without the motorhome being inside at 70 degrees for 24 hours. Not going to happen in Portland in the winter. Arggh!
It's been snowing very heavily for the last two hours, and with the cold temperature predicted for tonight, it won't be pretty in the morning. Well, it might be pretty, but it won't be good driving conditions. I think we'll stay home!
I like the choice of staying home tomorrow...good idea!
ReplyDeleteIt's funny.. we looked at a Nook and a Kindle this afternoon. We just started looking and thinking about E books.
Snow is fun to look at, but we're too old to even go outside in it...lol. We still have to have our refrig repaired -- didn't even know there was a recall 'til I read on someone else's blog. What a pain.
ReplyDeleteWe feel your pain it's snowing here also,we are so sick of it.
ReplyDeletenice snow pictures..we are in for a cold spell...starting tonight!..-13 with the windchill will feel like -23...can I go somewhere warm???..geez!!!
ReplyDeleteHopefully your new snow will go away quickly. At our home, our snow thinks it has an invitation to stay until April, sometimes later. Glad you two made it home safely. Your books sound interesting, thanks for the recommendations.
ReplyDeleteJohn
relaxedrush.blogspot.com
We also love Sue Henry's books, have read a number from both series. They remind of us our trip to Alaska, as she often mentions places we visited. Thanks for the reminder to look for some new ones. These days we get many of our books from the library here at the SKP Saguaro RV PArk. It's a large library for an RV park; they encouorage swapping, so when we read a book we have purchased at Costco (where lese?) we donate it to the library and see what else is there. Works great for us, and we don't have to buy two electronic readers!
ReplyDeleteThat sure is a pretty snow. Hope you can get your fridge fixed. I think they are the most expensive of things to get worked on or replaced.
ReplyDeleteLoved the snow pictures but am enjoying our warm weather. One of my favorite things to do on snowy days is to snuggle under a blanket with a good book. Guess I will have to figure out what's a good day to read in warm weather. Take care.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for your suggestion about the storage door! I'll have hubster right on that first chance!
ReplyDeleteYucky snow! Sure would be hard to take after walking on the beach not long ago... hope it disappears soon for you!
Thanks for the book review. I'm always looking for new reads. Stay warm.
ReplyDelete