Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Pickleball--Sweet Sport with Sour Name

Marilyn and Alan, who write a blog called Bless Our Voyage, left me a comment asking about pickleball.  It's one of my favorite sports, so I never get tired of telling people about it.

pickleball 5

Pickleball is a racquet sport which combines elements of badminton, tennis, and table tennis. The sport is played on a court with the same dimensions as a doubles badminton court. The net is lower than most other racquet sports allowing for faster play. The game is played with a hard paddle and a wiffle ball, making the technique required for pickleball different than other sports.

pickleball 3 

Pickleball originated in Olympia, WA, around 1965.  A portion of Congressman Pritchard's tennis court was removed for I-5 at the US-101 interchange. Pickleball was created for use in the smaller court.  The sport was named after the Pritchards' dog, Pickles. 

pickleball 4

Our family first came across pickleball at a Yogi Bear Campground in Cheney, WA, about fifteen years ago.  The park had a pickleball court.  We checked out the equipment from the office, and our family of four had a great time playing the game.

Here are a couple of short videos that tell about this fast-growing sport.

http://www.king5.com/sports/Pickle-ball-Americas_fastest-growing-sport-106784313.html 

and another one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2KNhIgOkXM&feature=player_embedded

Hey, you have to love any game that uses a wiffleball, right? pickleball

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for a good explanation of pickleball. I couldn't get the video to work, but went to the link you highlighted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet coordination is a must in the game of Pickleball...LOL. It does sound like fun -- bet my grandkids would like it too. Thanks for the post.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting. I had heard of pickleball but didn't really know what it was. Enjoyed the videos too. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the pickleball lesson!..we met someone a few summers ago and he was involved with the game..which was the first time we ever heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. and now we know the rest of the story...

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the explanation I have heard of others playing pickleball but never knew what it was. Will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have never heard of it before but sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete