Friday, February 4, 2011

Friends and Mansions

jocko's teeshirt

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yesterday our friends, Debbie and Bill, drove up here from Downey, California.  The drive took them five hours, but once they got out of the LA area, the drive up the coast was beautiful.  We ate dinner at a nice Italian restuarant in Arroyo Grande called Gina's.  We had intended to go to a steakhouse in Nipomo that Debbie remembered from years ago, Jocko's, and it was, in fact, still there.  It looked like a bit of a dive, but it must be a very popular dive because there was an hour wait to be seated.  We didn't wait and ended up at Gina's, which was a fine choice.  Debbie and Bill are visiting the elephant seals today and we'll all meet for dinner tonight at Brad's in Pismo Beach.

IMG_8803

Every day, Dave and I like to take at least one walk or bike ride.  Today's excursion was a walk that I discovered a couple of weeks ago.  A sign points to a "coastal trail" which is reached after driving through a residential area.  We snagged one of the five or so parking spots for the trail, and off we went.  This is a paved path along a coastline bluff.  There's a scenic coastal view along the paved trail.  IMG_8799

IMG_8794

This handicap-accessible, dog-friendly trail is open to the public and runs along in front of some multi-million dollar mansions.  We, the public, get to enjoy the view for free.  These houses were quite impressive.IMG_8801

IMG_8495

IMG_8485

My favorite, a mediterranean-style villa IMG_8488-1

If you think I'm exaggerating about the multi-million dollar view, the lots in this gated community are selling for 2.25 million dollars for a little over an acre of hilly, ocean view property.  Each house probably cost at least a few million dollars to build. 

2.25 million dollar lot for sale.  How many do you want?IMG_8798

After the walk we ate our lunch at a park at Shell Beach and then came back to the RV to relax for a while.

8 comments:

  1. Did you change your masthead recently or am I just getting senile??? I read quite a few blogs so maybe I just missed your text at the top. Anyway, I like it!! My journey has many parallels.

    Your pictures today are awesome. The ocean always astounds me with its beuaty. Those houses are beautiful to look at too but I wouldn't want to live in one. I guess I'm what you might call "simple" LOL! Give me a tiny home that has wheels and I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you found our blog. Even tho I have been blogging for a year, I'm still learning:) The mansions in your blog are incredible. I look forward to seeing and reading more about your adventures. God bless, Marilyn McMillan

    ReplyDelete
  3. just one..don't want to be greedy!!..since you're buying!!..great shots today...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm more impressed by the purple flowers and the ocean views than I am by the mansions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning views both of the ocean and they are beautiful homes, just a little out of our reach unless we hit the Lotto. Sometimes those dives have the best food maybe you can get back to Jacko's before you leave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, those are indeed beautiful purple flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. a few million.. at least!

    I'd rather have the walk....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good place to walk (and you can off-road bike) near there is the Johnson Ranch. Take 101 north of where you are. Take the offramp to See Canyon..go over the freeway and then take the frontage road RIGHT. Maybe a couple of miles down, just as the road curves to go back under the freeway, there is a dirt parking lot ahead. That is the trailhead and it is a beautiful place to hike or bike.

    Emjay

    ReplyDelete