During our visit to Lompoc, Dave and I visited La Purisima Mission. A small group of Spanish and Mexican soldiers, craftsmen, and Christianized Chumash Indians accompanied the Spanish priests who founded the mission in December, 1787. The original site in town was destroyed by an earthquake in 1812 and the mission was rebuilt a few miles outside of Lompoc.
La Purisima is one of three of the 21 California Missions that is owned and operated by the state park system.
The bells in the bell tower were cast in Lima, Peru.
The main church was built to hold 1000 people.
Why is there a cover over the pulpit? Did the roof leak?
The candle-making room
One of the outdoor ovens
After we walked all around the mission, we were hungry, so we headed east to Buellton. Dave was looking forward to eating at Baker's Square, but when we got there, we found it was out of business. So, instead, we ate at one of my favorites, Pea Soup Andersen's. Neither of us ate pea soup, however.
Pea Soup Andersen's in Buellton, CA
This is the original Andersen's. There's another one along I-5 at Santanella. There used to be an Andersen's in Carlsbad, CA, also, but it's no longer in business.
Is pea soup their specialty? If so, I'll probably never stop there. Yuck! :)
ReplyDeleteCarol, I think the California Missions are fantastic. You did a great job with both the pictures and the history! I am unable to think of anything positive to say about the Pea Soup though.
ReplyDeleteIf Judy and Emma won't go to Pea Soup Anderson's, they'll miss a real good meal. This isn't the ordinary "split pea soup." It's delicious! We try to stop there every time, and they do have a nice full menu besides pea soup.
ReplyDeleteI love Pea soup, with little chunks of ham. Your pictures are great.. :)
ReplyDelete