Wednesday, December 1, 2010

DeMartini, Rice Paddies, and Victorian Christmas

IMG_7602

We arrived in Grass Valley around noon after an easy, pleasant drive from Corning.  We checked in with the service area and got situated in site #3 at DeMartini RV.

Checking into DeMartiniIMG_7593

IMG_7596

From I-5, we took Highways 99, 149, 70, and then Highway 20 to Grass Valley.  Just before we got to Highway 20, we saw several rice paddies.  I've seen them in the Sacramento area, but didn't notice them the last year when we we drove this same route.  This time they were filled with water.

Rice paddiesIMG_7565

IMG_7566

IMG_7564

This afternoon we went searching for a car wash, and explored historic downtown Nevada City.  Then we drove to Auburn to meet our niece, Keri, for an early dinner.  She works as an uncertified vet tech/receptionist at at a veterinary hospital in Auburn, so at her suggestion we met at Mel's Diner since it's near her workplace.  We had a short, but nice meal and visit. 

Keri went back to work and we drove back to Grass Valley and then back to Nevada City to attend their Victorian Christmas Fair.  Every December, on Wednesday evenings, the downtown streets are closed off and vendors and musicians come in to sell their wares and to entertain the crowd.  Santa was there, as were pony rides and carriage rides, along with a living Nativity scene.  The stores are all open, and the streets are festive with lights.  We stopped in at the historic Methodist church and participate in a Christmas carol sing-along.

IMG_7611

An interesting character enjoying the Victorian FairIMG_7614

The Methodist Church during daylight hoursIMG_7609 

Downtown Nevada City earlier in the dayIMG_7604

Tomorrow we will get up early and prepare the motorhome for its short trip across the lot to one of the DeMartini service bays.  We won't be able to stay inside the motorhome while they are working on the slide, so I am putting together a survival kit containing my crossword puzzles, book, crocheting, and of course, my computer.  That ought to be more than enough to keep me occupied all day!

7 comments:

  1. At least you had plenty to do and see while waiting for your rig to be taken care of. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Crossword puzzles and a comnputer. What more could anyone need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks like a pretty nice parking space at the dealer!!..and as for the character in your night shot?..he seems to be a bit out of his 'element'??..but who am I to judge??..enjoy your day with your survival kit!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank God DiMartini doesn't have an Indian casino!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you made it there safely. Singing in the Methodist church sounds wonderful...I think that is one of the things I am going to be missing this holiday season - participating in our different Christmas holiday events at church.

    Have a great day tomorrow...sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol, I just watched a movie night before last about letters written to soldiers, and it was based on a story line from Nevada City and the Church you have pictured here was in the movie, now I only wish I could remember the name of the movie, but it was on the Hallmark channel and a great little story line.
    cyndi budhi
    http://travelswithbudhiandcyndi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to crochet. What are you making?

    The old guy reminds me of Father Christmas. That is a beautiful church. Looks like a fun place to be.

    ReplyDelete