Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Day Trip to Lompoc and Solvang, CA

IMG_7970 Dave and I are having a great time here in Pismo Beach, California.  Our stay at Pismo Coast Village has been very enjoyable and we can see why people are keen to become shareholders of this park.  The park is 35 years old, but it appears to be well taken care of.   The entrance to the park is being repaved this week and we are impressed with how quick and efficient the workers have been.  There has been no disruption except for having to go in and out a maintenance entrance instead of the main entrance.

While Dave played golf today, I went for another bike ride.  First I rode to the nearby downtown area of Pismo Beach.  That area is undergoing some paving and repairs, also.  They have to do work like that this time of the year since this is the off season.  Summers here are very busy!

Then I rode south along Highway 1 to Pismo State Golf Course where Dave was playing.  I didn't see him, but I left a "Kilroy Carol was here" note for him in the car.

Monday we went on a day trip to Lompoc and Solvang.  We left early in the morning in order to get to Lompoc to visit a Victorian house that was open only between 9 and 11 am on Mondays.  But, alas, the house was deserted when we got there, so we didn't get to go inside.

The house was there, but no one was giving a tour.IMG_7893

Another site we visited was the town's Carnegie library, now the Lompoc Museum.  Alas, this place was closed, too.IMG_7902

Lompoc's Christmas banner--I'm not sure of the significance of the polar bearIMG_7909

We drove about ten miles west of Lompoc (pronounced LOM-POKE) to get to the beach.  We were so surprised to see an Amtrak station (deserted) out there.  It was a stop of a commuter train (no trains in sight).  This was a somewhat eerie place.  I could just imagine someone taking the train here and being dropped off at a deserted beach ten miles from town.  IMG_7920

IMG_7921

IMG_7924

We visited La Purisima Mission State Historic Park, which I'll write about tomorrow.  Then we drove on to Solvang, a touristy Danish village.  Even on a Monday, the town was hopping with cars and shoppers.IMG_7967 IMG_7962

IMG_7964

Our outing tired me out, and I slept most of the hour-long ride back to Pismo Beach.  I woke up just in time to take this photo along Highway 101 north of Santa Maria.IMG_7969

4 comments:

  1. thanks for the great tour, Carol!..looks like you and Dave are enjoying yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our sister-in-law is, or perhaps has been, a docent at La Purissima Mission. We have visited that mission and many others in the California chain of missions. Hope to see all of them some day. Did you buy some good Danish pstries in Solvang? Or pea soup at Split Pea Anderson's in Buellton? Both delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That always ticks me off when they advertise something being open, then no one shows up. I guess you never know what may be going on though. Glad you are having a good time there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pictures of Solvang. Have always enjoyed going there. Also liked the sunshine...could you send some back up here to WA...it is cold and rainy!

    ReplyDelete