A few days ago I saw an article on Yahoo listing the “most beautiful” college campuses. It got me thinking about my college campus, Luther College, in Decorah, Iowa. While certainly not the “most beautiful” it is a very pretty campus.
Most people think of Iowa as being flat and boring. Most of the state is flat, including my hometown, Osage. But northeastern Iowa is not flat. While there are no mountains, the hills are very pretty, especially in the fall season.
Brandt Hall, where I lived my freshman and sophomore years
Pictured below is Olson Hall, where I lived my junior and senior years, except for when I was away student-teaching. This hall was controversial since men and women both lived there, on separate floors. Now I understand that some colleges let men and women room together! Not Luther College, however.
Decorah is a small city with a population of less than 10,000 but there are a variety of things to do in the area besides visiting Luther College. One of the places to visit in Decorah is Vesterheim Norwegian-American Museum. Vesterheim is America’s oldest and largest museum devoted to one immigrant group and comprises of a complex of 15 historic buildings, costumes, furniture, decorations, and fine arts reflective of Norwegian immigrant life.
Nearby, in Burr Oak, is the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum. Period clothing and furnishings are displayed in the former hotel and childhood home of the Little House books’ author.
Also near Decorah, in Winneshiek County, is Spillville, an old-world Czechoslovakian village. A collection of hand-carved musical clocks made by the Bily brothers are housed in the 1893 summer home of Czech composer, Antonin Dvorak. An organ used by Dvorak resides in St. Wenceslaus Church.
See, you don’t have to take my word for it. In fact, just writing this blog has made me homesick for Iowa in the fall!
Do I know you were student teaching? No, that's not familiar to me. So were you in training to be a teacher? But you didn't end up there...well, at least not right away.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful campus. That's clever to borrow their photos like that. One would think you just took a weekend trip to the Iowa campus.
Jackie B.
Beautiful campus. I bet you did get homesick for
ReplyDeleteDecorah. There is something special about the college experience... Thanks for sharing that part of Iowa with us.
Mike & Gerri
As I told you previously, Bruce and I actually visited Decorah in 2009. The campus pics are beautiful. Small towns are fabulous.
ReplyDeleteSuzy and I visited Decorah in 2006, didn't see Luther COllege, but we were so taken with this little town and the surrounding attractions that we extended our one-week stay to two-weeks! Saw the Vesterheim, Bily Brothers Museum, Dvorak's apartment, St. Wenceslas Church, and a delightful presentation of Music Man by hte local commuinity theater! Wow, what a great visit. Thanks for the reminder!
ReplyDeleteA beautiful campus. Nice pictures showing some color already. Thanks for sharing. Stay safe.
ReplyDelete