I am impressed! Death Valley National Park is much different that I expected. I knew it was a huge park, but I didn't realize how diverse the landscape is. We've seen only the bit along the highway from Amargosa Valley. I think we are going to enjoy exploring this park. We had no idea how many days to plan for this area. We reserved four nights at Furnace Creek Ranch RV Park, and that may not be long enough!
Before we left Nevada, Dave and I were startled to see the following sign in the midst of nowhere along Highway 95:
We entered California and saw the world's smallest "Welcome to California" sign. We watched for a fruit inspection station, but alas, there was none along this route. Yippee, I got to keep all of my Nevada oranges and apples!
As we turned onto Highway 190 towards Death Valley, the scenery got more interesting.
Then, out of nowhere, we arrived in Death Valley!
Lots to look at, including the undulating road:
We are pleased that we chose to stay at Furnace Creek. I'll take some more pictures another day, but here is a shot of the exit to the Furnace Creek village. (Love those palm trees!)
We explored the new Furnace Creek Visitor Center, which was completely redone in 2012. And no, it wasn't 128 degrees, as it would have been in the summertime, instead, the temperature was a comfortable 64 degrees! A picture taken from the Visitor Center:
And a quote that I found quite apropos:
Stay tuned!
Death Valley looks amazing!!!
ReplyDeleteWe were totally taken back also at the diversity of the Park. If you get a chance, stop at Scotty's Castle. We really enjoyed the tour.
ReplyDeleteI'll be interested in learning more about the RV park, as well as enjoying your touring. :)
ReplyDeleteWe stayed at Furnace Creek and Jim went fishing at their pond on the golf course. I love, love, love that place. Really looking forward to your pictures.
ReplyDeleteWe stayed across from Furnace Creek on the big parking lot camping area... And didn't make it to Scotty's Castle so enjoy the tour if you go and share it!
ReplyDeleteIsn't your first visit to Death Valley delightful, especially in Spring? Early morning and late afternoon colors and shadows are beautiful. Our first visit there was for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary (they were desert rats at the time), and we've been back a couple times since, but are eager to revisit through your eyes!
ReplyDeleteDeath Valley was nothing like I had expected, either. It's well worth spending time there. We were there years ago before we had Therapy. It was very hot, and windy. We only stayed one night, but always wanted to go back. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and photos. We want to go back there now, even more!
ReplyDeleteI'd like to have a look at the RV Park. Went online but couldn't find any photos of the RV park itself or even any info on the charges. I think we would like to go back if we were in our own rig and not relying on hotel rooms and restaurants. Looking forward to your and Dave's posts.
ReplyDeleteI have looked into working there in the winter, and am looking forward to your posts about this park.
ReplyDeleteHI, Merikay and Craig are there too.....
ReplyDeleteI visited a few years ago; and hope to this February...A person needs weeks to really see everything..Enjoy!!
David