Thursday, January 24, 2013

Sunset, Then Shirataki Noodles

We had rain today, but with the temperature in the low 60s, it felt like a spring or fall rain at home.  As we were driving to the beach, we saw part of a rainbow in the cloudy sky.  I wasn't able to take a picture of it until we drove out onto the beach.IMG_5621

Waiting for the sun to set and enjoying the effect of the mist along the beach.IMG_5634

IMG_5637

IMG_5656

IMG_5660

IMG_5681

IMG_5643

After we got back to the motorhome after watching the sunset, I tried out a new recipe that I found on http://skinnytaste.com/ for baked chicken parmesan.  I didn't take pictures of the final product, but Dave and I both deemed the recipe to be a success.  The SkinnyTaste web site contains excellent pictures of the whole process. 

For the first time ever, I made Shirataki noodles.  I looked for some the other day but couldn't find any.  Today I went to Ralph's "Pretty Good Grocery" (Garrison Keillor fans will get the reference).  I just happened to see the Tofu Shirataki at Ralph's, so I decided to try it with the parmesan chicken.  Yum!  The soy-based product contained only 40 calories for two servings, both of which I ate!  Once I put a bit of salt and pepper on them, the fake spaghetti noodles tasted great.  They contained no cholesterol, no sugar, were gluten-free, vegan, only 6 carbs, and 4 grams of fiber.  As the package said, they were "guilt-free".  The two serving package cost $1.99, so they weren't cheap, like most good-for-you foods.

The empty packageIMG_5686

5 comments:

  1. Carol, Your photos are BREATHTAKING! As for your cuisine, well, I just might want to come for a visit. That RV of yours is putting out some fine foods.

    Jackie B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures again today. What's a little rain to a Pacific North-westerner anyway!! Didn't Dave eat his share of the noodles? that sounds like a product that Russ would like and I might even have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link to the website. I love seeing photos when I cook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty sunset pictures. I have not tried those noodles yet, but I do buy other gluten free pasta made with corn or quinoa.

    ReplyDelete