Thursday, January 3, 2013

Scotty's Castle, Sand Dunes, and Salt Creek

I haven't been feeling too well today, but we were able to do a full day of sightseeing.  I'm going to post a few pictures and call it a night.  We drove up to Scotty's Castle, but we didn't take the time to go on a tour.

What a place!  And 3000 feet ABOVE sea level!  It reminded me a bit of the Mission Inn in Riverside, CA.  I loved seeing the Spanish-style design.  IMG_5255

Hacienda used for guests at Scotty's CastleIMG_5268

Scotty's graveIMG_5265

Picnic area at Scotty's CastleIMG_5254

Sand dunes near Stovepipe Wells.  It reminded me of when I saw my very first sand dunes in 1976 at Cape Cod.IMG_5282

Dave looking at the sun through a filtered telescope at Stovepipe Wells.IMG_5292

Full hookup RV sites at Stovepipe Wells.  We located Merikay and Craig's motorhome, but evidently they were still out hiking, so we didn't have a chance to meet up with them.  IMG_5296

The Salt Creek boardwalk was another of today's highlights.  We searched the shallow creek water for the elusive one-inch pupfish, but we didn't see any. IMG_5307

Artist at workIMG_5308

Salt on the hillsIMG_5317

A sand hill at Salt CreekIMG_5318

Ripples along the creekIMG_5322

We had perfect weather today--almost 70 degrees with no wind.  Tonight's low is supposed to be 43 degrees.  Balmy!

We were planning to leave Death Valley on Saturday, but we have extended our stay until Monday morning.  That's mostly because Dave wants to stay put to watch all the NFL playoffs on the weekend, but believe me, he didn't have to convince me to stay here an extra two days.  Now if we can stretch our food to last through the weekend!  ;-)

6 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better! I sent a recommendation to Dave for Dante's View. Hope you get to check it out! After rethinking it I think it was my favorite spot with its magnificent views!

    Too bad about missing Merikay and Craig. Maybe you'll run into them still...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear you weren't feeling well. Hope you are better today.

    Scotty's Castle tour was one of the highlights of that area for us. It was beautiful inside. Our guide was super. Another reason to return to the area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope you are feeling better Carol!!
    enjoyed the tour today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you feel better today. I'm having so much fun reading your posts and looking at the pictures. But I can't believe you didn't see any pupfish. They are fascinating. The males are really aggressive at protecting their territory. I spent an hour just watching them. Maybe it's too early in the year for them. We were there in April.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You continue to whet our appetites for a return trip to Death Valley. We had plans to go back there a couple of times, but as plans go, plans get derailed. Glad you are getting some more time, but you won't do much sightseeing, unless you accept TV football as sightseeing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much beautiful country in the desert! I thought it was just flat sand for miles and miles. But you're showing me a new perspective on the concept of "desert." Stay well so you can enjoy it.
    Jackie B.

    ReplyDelete