Friday, January 4, 2013

Golden Canyon "Easy" Hike, Death Valley

IMG_5337 Last time we tried to do the Golden Canyon hike, we couldn't find a parking spot.  This time, we managed to nab the last spot.  This was marked an "easy" walk, but easy is as easy does.  Anytime we're scrambling through paths of gravel at a gradual elevation gain, it's not easy for us.  But we managed and were rewarded for our efforts by a fantastic view of some of the canyon geology.  IMG_5339

This 2-mile round trip hike took us over 1 1/2 hours to complete, but we did take lots of breaks to take pictures!  The temperature was perfect when we were there this morning--our fleece jackets felt good at first, but it soon warmed up enough that I shed my jacket and hiked in shirt-sleeves.  On the way back, there was a very slight breeze on our faces that felt really good. IMG_5340

IMG_5344

IMG_5345

IMG_5347

IMG_5350

IMG_5353

IMG_5383

IMG_5367

IMG_5388

IMG_5372

IMG_5393

Dave asks, "Can you make it, Carol?"IMG_5334-001

Finally, the end of the walk is in sight.  It's good to see those cars up ahead!IMG_5394

Don't you just love that blue sky? ;-)  I try to get the sky captured in as many of my photos as I can.  Today was a busy day.  After the canyon hike, we drove the three miles or so back to the RV at Furnace Creek so that we could have lunch, then we set out in the car for the climb up to 5000-feet Dante's View.  After that we made a quick stop at Zabriskie Point.  I'll post those pictures during the next day or two.  Then this evening, after dinner, we went out to the Borax Museum to view the night sky.  The stars are just amazing here and we got an excellent view of the winter Milky Way. 

8 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how desolate Death Valley is and at the same time how beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great header photo!

    I just can't get over how God thought up all these super places for us to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, dear heart, we want to be there, and your pictures take us close, but not yet close enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good for you for completing the 'easy' hike, Carol!! nice pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such rich geological textures and variety was found on your hike! I'm amazed that Death Valley offers so much contrast.
    Jackie B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those "easy" hikes are all "relative" I think! Tell Dave he's a big show off, since he gets a lot of exercise in his work! Love seeing your pictures of the blue skies and sunshine. Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete