Monday, December 3, 2012

It's December Already?

My new header picture is a shot of Mount St. Helens with a fresh snowcap.  I took this picture from our driveway on the afternoon we left to go to Cape Disappointment. 

Dave and I are back from the beach.  It was quite wet and windy while we were there, and I didn't have a chance to take any pictures. :(  We went on a few walks in between the rain storms, but I forgot to bring my phone or my camera every time we went out.  The weather was sunny the first couple of days, but then turned stormy.  We didn't even try to go to the lighted boat parade or crab pot Christmas tree lighting in Ilwaco because it was too cold and wet.  I read that some of the towns in California had to cancel or postpone their lighted boat parades because of their stormy weather. 

In ten days we'll be leaving for our big trip down south.  Dave and I are both looking forward to the trip.  We'll be sad to miss Christmas with Sophie and her parents, but that's why we are having an early celebration with them. 

I'm trying to decide what quilting projects I want to work on during our trip so that I can pack accordingly.  I made a couple of Christmas gifts while we were at Cape Disappointment, but I can't post pictures of them at this time. ;)  I am very glad that I bought a lightweight (11 pound) sewing machine so it's not a hassle to move it back and forth.  It's easy to put away when I need to clear off my sewing area, which in the RV is the dinette. 

Dave and I are both looking forward to getting lots of exercise once we are in the good weather.  Oh sure, we can use our treadmill at home in all kinds of weather, but it's so much more fun to walk out in the fresh air and sunshine. 

A week or so ago I evidently pinched a nerve in my back/hip.  I had so much discomfort and lack of mobility that I finally went to the doctor.  He poked around some and diagnosed it as a pinched nerve, possibly sciatic.  He recommended physical therapy and gave me a prescription for pain.  A day or two later, miraculously, and after taking only one of the prescribed pills, the pain was gone.  I'll go to the already scheduled physical therapy for one visit, then we leave on our trip.  I hope the physical therapist will recommend stretching exercizes or something to deal with another back pain that I get frequently in the upper right area of my back.  I ALWAYS get that pain when I do sewing, and some days I get it even when I am not sewing.  I am very happy, however, that the pinched nerve problem went away! 

7 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that the pain went away so quickly. I too get a pain in the back when I am working on my pine needle baskets for too long a time. I need to get up and move around more.

    The header photo is lovely. We just loved visiting that area. Where abouts are you headed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's no fun to be at the beach when its rainy, cold and windy. I hope you will have better weather when you head south. I need to start working on some quilting projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well bummer about the beach, but I actually had wondered if you went ahead with that trip what with all the major storms! I know they're further south mostly, but still wondered about you!

    I forgot in my email to you to mention your fab weight loss!!!!! Way to go girlfriend! And it's great to hear you so excited about getting out and about for the exercise on your trip! Have you ever seen those sand bag weight things that are sold for crafters that you wear around your waist and the sandbag sits at the small of your back? It's designed for just what you and Paul/Marsha are describing! You might ask in some of the fabric and quilting shops that I just know you're going to be checking out!!!

    And yes, even though it's in the 70's in Kansas, it is December..... =/

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry to hear about the pinched nerve Carol!..hope you are feeling better soon!
    A wet and windy trip to the coast is better than staying at home, glad you had a fun time anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear that the pain went away so quickly. I hope it stays away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pain in the back is a pain in the ... well, you know! We've missed your blog for a while, I guess. Where are you headed when you swing south?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always wait about the pain, thinking it will go away, then, lately it has gotten REALLY bad.. :(
    I quite liked "Winter of the World" but knowing that it is only a part of the story being told & am anxious for the 'whole story' but by the time the next one comes out, i have forgotten what went on in the prior books. They have to write faster!!! Really like Follett..am going to find more of his earlier works at used book store. Am flattered u use my read book list, that is so nice!! I LOVE sharing books!!!
    Safe travels, look forward to reading about your travels..

    ReplyDelete