Sunday, June 3, 2012

Two "Charming" Weekends

Last weekend I took my sewing machine along with us in the motorhome when we went to Mallard Creek Golf and RV Resort.  While Dave played 18 holes of golf on three different days, I pieced some quilt tops.

This time, however, I didn't have to drag along my cutting board, rulers, templates, or rotary cutter.   I pieced together 5-inch square pieces of fabrics from Charm packs.  Each Charm pack that I used contained 32 squares, four each of eight different patterns that all go together. 

Sample Charm packscharm-pack

All I had to do was sew the pieces from two Charm packs together, and voila, the result was a pieced lap-size quilt top.  I was so eager to start sewing that I didn't think to take a picture of the Charm packs used to make the following pieced quilt top.IMG_3075

Another project that I worked on used the following Charm pack:IMG_3086

These Charm packs were not $5 on sale, they were marked down even lower, to $2 per pack and $2.50 for two 1-yard coordinating fabrics.  What a deal--thank you Walmart!

Rather than just sewing the squares together, I sewed the sale charm pack squares into half-square triangles:IMG_3077 

Then I sewed the triangle squares into an interesting pattern:IMG_3078

That project still needs to be finished!

My final project for last week was the following quilt top, which I finished quilting this weekend.  IMG_3083

Here's the back of the quilt with the coordinating fabric:IMG_3082

This is the first "real" quilt that I have made.  I have FINALLY learned how to sew on the binding and make mitered corners.IMG_3081

Not perfect, but a lot better than I could do a few months ago!  And yes, I enjoyed my last two weekends "charming" weekends!

8 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm impressed. And such a good deal on those charm packs. Sometimes you just can't beat a good Walmart deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive - especially on those corners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it is wonderful to be able to really focus on a project and see it finished fairly quickly. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I'm not a quilter or sewer, your finished products would be more satisfying to me than a golf score. :) Nice bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice job on the quilt, Carol!!!..very pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, you really know how to relax, don't you! Very nice work on that quilt project. Next you can start on a nice waterproof quilt, since it looks like we're in for more rain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like fun! I miss quilting. I'll have to pull some projects out... sometime. Always sometime when I have the time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol! My eyes are ablaze with the beauty of these quilts you're putting together. You seem to enjoy it so much, and I love seeing what you produce.
    Jackie B

    ReplyDelete