Sunday, May 27, 2012

Wizard Falls Fish Hatchery near Sisters, Oregon

Dave and I spent the last few days at Mallard Creek Golf and RV Park near Lebanon, Oregon.  Dave has been busy golfing and I have entertained myself by sewing some quilt tops.  I'll blog about that another day.

Today Dave took the day off from golfing and we drove up the mountain on US Highway 20 to Sisters, Oregon, about a two-hour drive from the RV park.  I visited "The Stitchin' Post", a very nice quilt and yarn store in Sisters.  Then we had lunch at Bronco Billy's Grill and Saloon, located inside the old Sisters Hotel. 

Wizard Falls Fish HatcheryIMG_3063

After lunch,  we drove out to Wizard Falls Fish Hatchery, located along the Metolius River.  This is one of the best fish hatcheries that we've visited.  The fun part is buying a handful of fish food and feeding the fish.  The fish all come swarming and jumping to get at the food. 

Swarming fishIMG_3049

IMG_3050

The fish nurseries are round so that the food gets more evenly distributed, otherwise the stronger fish get all the food.  These fish are too small to be fed the pellets available in the fish food machines.IMG_3058

Besides being a fish hatchery, this is a very tranquil place to spend some time. IMG_3053

IMG_3045

A majestic Ponderosa PineIMG_3062

The Metolius RiverIMG_3068

The weather was cool and a bit windy, but we've had no rain the last couple of days!

10 comments:

  1. Should have had your fishing pole with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fish hatcheries are very interesting to me. I worked for a month at the one in Bandon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fishy, Fishy in the brook, please come and bite my hook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim's fishing pox would really rear it's head if he saw all those fish. But truly, we enjoy fish hatcheries and learning more about the fish and their survival.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great place to spend the afternnoon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have found the same quiet, relaxing feeling at some of the hatcheries we've visited. We may have to come by this one and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh...two of our favorite places to go...Bronco Billy's and Wizard Falls!!! You really know how to get some enjoyment out of the weekend. Thanks for sharing. Love those photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't you just love the color of the river there at the bridge? I'm glad we are not the only ones who enjoy visiting fish hatcheries, and Wizard Falls is one of our favorites. Thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm hoping to get to Sisters, OR for their quilt show some year. I love quilts. I have only made baby quilts and a few wall hanging, but I have purchased a few old quilts because I love the way the fabric feels in the old quilts. What are you making?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's lovely country. Do those salmon end up in the Columbia River?
    Jackie B.

    ReplyDelete