Monday was my 60th birthday. I must say that I do feel older now! At least I'll be able to remember how old I am for the next year. I always had trouble remembering which "50-something" I was.
Dave and I had a great week at Cape Disappointment State Park in Ilwaco, WA, except for the lack of cell service and internet. Note to self: don't go someplace where it's hard for loved ones to contact you on your birthday!
The highlight of my birthday came a couple of days early when Tim, Kiersten, and granddaughter Sophie surprised me with a visit to Long Beach. Dave had stealthily arranged it all ahead of time. He and I were waiting to meet a friend (supposedly) at one of our favorite Long Beach eateries, Hungry Harbor Restaurant. When I turned around, I first saw Tim, then Kiersten and Sophie. I was really surprised and so glad to see them that I almost started crying. We had just celebrated Sophie's first birthday the week before, and they didn't give me a clue about what they were planning for my birthday a week later.
Happy Sophie waiting for some lunch.
After eating lunch together, we took Sophie to a local park so that she could work off some of her energy before she had to get back in her car seat for the 2.5 hour ride back to her house. Sophie doesn't walk yet, but she loves to pull herself to a standing position. She had a great time at the park even though it was a bit cold and wet. Afterwards, we all went to another well-known Long Beach eatery--Scoopers Ice Cream Shop. I had to bid farewell to Tim, Kiersten, and Sophie. Thanks for the wonderful surprise, Dave, Tim, Kiersten, and Sophie!
It rained every day while we were at the beach, but on Sunday we managed to go for a walk at Cape Disappointment. We were surprised to see how much driftwood was on the beach.
We always enjoy seeing North Head Lighthouse.
How does a huge tree stump get washed ashore?
We found two buoys that had washed ashore, as well as a hard hat that we think might have come all the way from Japan.
Happy Belated Birthday to you!
ReplyDeleteHappy, happy birthday to you!! When I turned 60, I said, "I don't want to do this job any longer" and I retired! Sophie is growing and is so cute!
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice surprise for your birthday. Happy Birthday to you.
ReplyDeletegreat surprise for your birthday!!!..glad it was a very nice one for you!..60 years young!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday. What a wonderful birthday surprise you had. I was wondering if some of th stuff from Japan may be washing up on the shore there.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Carol, what a wonderful surprise to have Tim, Kiersten and Sophie join you for the celebration.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday glad you had a great day..
ReplyDeleteA priceless birthday surprise...Happy Birthday!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great birthday surprise!!! I can't think of a better one!
ReplyDeleteDoesn't it just make you sick to think of all that debris from Japan beginning to wash up on the beaches out there? I hope it's not too devastating to the area and beachcombing! Really enjoyed your photos!!
Wow, the big 6 - 0 Congratulations and a belated Happy Birthday. What a great surprise, and look at that cute little Sophie how fast she is growing. The pictures are great.
ReplyDelete