Friday, June 29, 2012

Crossing into South Dakota

IMG_3324-001

South Dakota is a new state for both Dave and I.   We had a short drive of only sixty-some miles today.  The following picture is taken coming into the small city of Spearfish.  We'll come back here another day to explore the many things that this town has to offer.

A view of the Black Hills from SpearfishIMG_3326

After stopping at a very nice Walmart in Spearfish to buy a plastic embroidery hoop to use with my Redwork embroidery kit that I bought at Devils Tower, we soon reached our destination of High Plains Campground/Jack's Campers in Piedmont, South Dakota.

This is a very basic campground located behind the trailer dealership.  We were pleased to see that they Jack's Campers has a very nice camping parts store, as well as many, many trailers for sale.  Business appears to be booming!  As a service to their customer, they run a campground.  Non-customers, like we are, can stay here too.   I read a review of this place on the RV Park Reviews website. The price is right at $17/night.  We have full hookups with 50 amps, good satellite signal since there are NO trees, and excellent Verizon cell signal.  There are no restrooms, showers, or other amenities. 

Site 21IMG_3331

There isn't much of a view except for trailers for sale, but I did take the following pictures of the landscape behind the RV park.IMG_3328

 IMG_3329

Tomorrow, if the heat doesn't get the best of us, we're going visit The Prairie Homestead, one of the few remaining "soddy" homesteads in South Dakota.  It's located off I-90 east of Rapid City, near the Minuteman Missile Site, Badlands National Park, and the infamous Wall Drug Store.  We'll see as much of all those sites as we have time for, but due to my interest in pioneer stories, I've put the visit to the soddy at the top of the list!

3 comments:

  1. Nice to finally get to a state where you've never been before. Lots of things to see and do there, hope the heat doesn't get you down. Take care of yourselves and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For $17 bucks a night for FHUs I could do without the other amenities! Our son John just visited a Pawnee sod house on his way back from Georgia. He said it was about 15 degrees cooler just walking into it. Can't remember what state it was in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your touring while you stay put for a few days. :)

    ReplyDelete