Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Deer Lodge, MT to Hardin, MT

Today was another hot one.  It was windy as well as hot, which didn't make for a good travel day.  But we didn't see any accidents today and we are safe and sound tonight, so I am thankful for our blessings.

Today we drove past the three B cities:  Butte, Bozeman, and Billings.  Some day I would like to make time to visit each of these cities.  When we're in the motorhome towing a car, we whiz on by cities, but I enjoy visiting cities when we are staying near enough.  Also, a note to ourselves to allow an extra day to acclimate to a new time zone.  We only lost an hour when we entered the Mountain Time Zone, but it affects us more than we realize, especially now that it's the second day. 

When we got to Grandview RV Park in Hardin, Montana this afternoon, the temperature was 107 degrees.  The humidity was low, but it still felt hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk.  Now at 9 pm, the temperature is down to 83. 

I checked out the town of Hardin, but I must admit that I wasn't too impressed.  It seemed like a good town for a bike ride because the streets were wide and flat and the RV park was close to town, but the town had a lot of empty storefronts and seemed economically depressed. 

I was very glad to get back to the air-conditioned motorhome!  Times like this are when we are very glad we have two air conditioners.  I know, we're spoiled. 

Today's pictures show the many bugs that we picked up on our drive today.  Dave washed the front window, but we had gone no more than 30 miles before it was all bugged up again.

The terrain of this part of Montana was quite varied. IMG_3171

The haze from fires in the distance was evident and we could smell fire for a while.IMG_3181

IMG_3183

IMG_3184

IMG_3186

We saw this sign at a rest area east of Bozeman:IMG_3188

Tomorrow, if it's cool enough in the morning, we'll visit the Little Bighorn Battlefield and then head on our way to Sundance, Wyoming and a visit to Devil's Tower.  We are hoping that the high temperatures will abate!

5 comments:

  1. you are moving right along!..stay cool..sounds like it is a tad warm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure glad you made it okay. We really did have some big winds go through. Not much to see or do in Hardin. And FYI - Butte, Bozeman and Billings may be called cities - but believe me, they really aren't. Billings is the largest at about 100,000 people. So come back and visit sometime. Should be a great day today to visit the Battlefield. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Montana sure is a big state, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. welcome to the mountain time zone! forecast highs are in the 80's for the next week! fortunately it seems that yesterday was a one hit wonder!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, hope that heat moves on in a different direction.

    ReplyDelete