Thursday, June 28, 2012

Good News-Bad News

It was a good news/bad news kind of day.  We were able to hear the Supreme Court decision about the constitutionality of Obamacare before we left to see Devil's Tower this morning.

The good news:  the commerce part of the mandate was struck down. People cheered.

The bad news:  the mandate was deemed constitutional as long as it's treated as a tax.  People didn't cheer.

Good news:  We saw many prairie dogs at Devil's Tower.IMG_3280

The good news:  We really liked Devil's Tower.  We got there early enough to get a parking spot.  We did the 1.3 mile hike around the tower and survived to tell the tale. 

What a great view of Devil's Tower!IMG_3264 

More good news:  I have been looking for quilt kits featuring Redwork embroidery.  I found one at the Devil's Tower visitors center.  What a good souvenir!  It came as a kit with the embroidery floss and needle included.  The kit is part of a series called "America the Beautiful Redwork Series", so maybe I can find some more kits featuring some of our favorite national parks, and sew them all into a wall hanging.  IMG_3316

The only bad news at Devils Tower was that it was hot and the hike was at an elevation of over 4200 feet.

Proof that we were there!IMG_3288 IMG_3294

We saw several sets of climbersIMG_3299

The good news is that we did the 2-hour scenic drive around the Devil's Tower area.  We decided not to take our lunch with us because we thought it was too hot to eat outside.  We stopped for lunch at Cindy B's Cafe in the very small town of Aladdin (15 residents).  We both had the home-made hamburgers and fries.  The prices were high, but not too bad considering the town is out in the middle of nowhere and has no competition for miles around.  I also visited the 115-year-old general store next door.  IMG_3310

The bad news:  Cindy B's air conditioner was broken and they did not have any fans set up in the room we ate in.  We were already hot from our walk at Devil's Tower, and then when our hot food came, the lack of air conditioning just made us hotter.

They weren't kidding when they advertised "hot food"!IMG_3311

The good news:  After lunch we continued on the scenic drive.  It wasn't far to the Vore Buffalo Jump site near the town of Beulah.IMG_3314

The bad news:  We were greatly disappointed in the site.  It cost $5 per person to walk over to the site and look down.  Dave decided to forgo the view and went back to the car.  I wanted to see the site, so I paid the five dollars.  When I looked down, all I saw was a metal building with a metal roof, where they evidently do the archeological work. 

Archeology SiteIMG_3315

We had been to Head-Smashed-In-Buffalo-Jump in Alberta, Canada in 2001 and we were expecting this site to be similar.  It wasn't.  Don't waste your time or money unless you like peering at an archeological site where you can't see anything and where no one is working.

The good news:  We didn't have far back to Sundance and our air conditioned motorhome was waiting for us.

More good news:  The RV park's small swimming pool was empty and inviting.  IMG_3244

The bad news:  The steps down to the pool area had just been painted and I would have had to walk quite a ways (in the heat) along a gravel road to get to the pool.  No, thanks.

The good news:  Our large RV shower was ready and waiting for me to jump in and cool off.

So there you have it, our good/bad day and it's still only three o'clock!

IMG_3306

9 comments:

  1. Glad you're making progress on your journey. Nice photos, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to really enjoy when it's so hot. But you must have been there early in order to get a parking spot. Those become a premium later in the day. Too bad about the swimming pool. But it was probably too hot for even that. And you avoided a sunburn. Trying to think positive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures of the area. I think the "baddest" news is having to eat your lunch in a hot cafe!! Glad Dave saved his $5...sure doesn't seem to be much of a view lol...

    What a great idea on the quilt kit. I'm going to start looking for those when we visit National Parks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just testing the reply section for Carol.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Donna. Now it works on my Nook, but still not on my computer. Strange! Carol

      Delete
  4. How awesome is that redwork idea!?! I'm glad you found it and hope you find more of them! I haven't noticed any, but haven't been in many places.

    They have a picture of bones in the brochures advertising the buffalo jump... I'd had thought to go there but definitely not now!

    We went into Custer SP today and since we're here 2 wks we purchased a year pass and now have a ticket stub to give to "someone" to get a halfprice year pass for $14! That's $2 off a weeks pass! :) It was still kind of toasty here today so our activities involved mainly driving around and stopping for an occasional photo, including the motorcycle accident. Then the grocery store.

    Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness, you guys look HOT!!! Love the pictures. I thought that area was beautiful! Apparently i am a prairie/desert person!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your good news bad news day sounded like it was a well rounded success!..try and stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Good/bad contrast. It really was that kind of day too.

    ReplyDelete