After a refreshing overnight rain, the sky was still a bit overcast this afternoon as Dave and I drove about 20 minutes south of Pismo Beach on Highway 1 to Oso Flaco Lake, northwest of the small town of Guadalupe.
This is part of the state park system, so we paid the senior day use fee of $4 to park. The first part of the nature trail was an ordinary trail through a riparian area containing creekside vegetation.
Then comes the interesting park--a bridge walkway over the lake. I forgot to take a picture of the bridge over the (non-troubled) water because I was so busy taking pictures of the lake itself.
I am sorry to report that dogs are not allowed on this trail, but it's a good place for strollers and wheelchairs and people like us who don't like to walk on water or in sand!
After crossing the lake, the bridge turned into a boardwalk through the coastal dune scrub area.
A panoramic view of the end of the boardwalk amid the dunes.
And, finally, our reward, a magnificent view of the Pacific Ocean!
I'll share just a few bits of cultural history that I found interesting about this area:
1. Chumash Indians resided in the area, making their huts out of the willow branches, covered with tule reeds.
2. In 1769, Spanish explorer Portola landed in the area. While hunting for meat, his men shot a bear at a fresh water lake and named the lake, "Oso Flaco" which means "Skinny Bear".
3. In 1923, the film "The Ten Commandments" was filmed on the dunes.
4. From the 1930s to the 1980s, The Dunites, a group of artists, mystics, and hermits resided in the dunes.
thanks for sharing your day with us..I commented on Dave's post already and said that I had seen the boardwalk before..I am pretty sure that 'margie' had posted the same view..another great day for you both!!..nothing like the sound of the waves from the Pacific Ocean!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos again. I love all the boardwalks in your area. It seems it would make walking through the dunes much easier. Thanks for the report.
ReplyDeleteThose were four great historical facts!
ReplyDeleteNever been there, never even heard of it. Thank you, incidentally, for mentioning the accessibility of the trail. That is very important to us, as Suzy has very limited walking potential, and her scooter, Big Red, need to have a comfortable place to roll along. This looks like a good one!
ReplyDeleteHow do you find the great boardwalks? I love walking them and can never seem to find any. Thanks for another great post.
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had another great day of exploring. Thanks for the tip you left the other day advising the female seals & babies should still be there in April.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your day!