Our cell signal here at the Mariposa Fairgrounds is good for phone calls (1G network), but not good for tethering our computers to the internet, so I will publish this blog with no pictures. There's no wifi in the area we are camped in, which is the full-hookup area.
Tomorrow and possibly Friday we plan to visit Yosemite National Park. My pictures of the park will have to wait to be published when I have a better signal.
Dave and I left Corning at 8:45 am and got delayed a bit when we stopped at the WalMart in Willows. We sailed through the Sacramento traffic and turned onto Highway 99 south. Near the town of Ripon, we ran into some highway road work and it took us almost an hour to go six miles. By that time we finally passed by the roadwork we were hungry so we pulled into a shopping area in Modesto to eat our lunch.
We were back on the road shortly after that and got to Mariposa around 4 pm. We found the fairgrounds and the RV self-registration area but had a little trouble finding out which of the five RV areas contained the 15 full-hookup sites (area 5). As we were pulling into a site in area 5, the very friendly campground host (named Indian) directed us to park parallel rather than backing into the site. This was in order to be more level in the site. It looks like we are taking up three sites instead of one, but it was his suggestion, so it should be fine.
The RV sites here cost $25 per night. There's 30 amp at this park instead of 50 amp, but other than that, we are all set. It's a fairly private area and only three RVs are here, so it should be fairly quiet and dark (yay!). The draw of this park is it's location near Yosemite--only 50 miles to Yosemite Valley. That sounds like far away, but there aren't very many full hookup parks close to Yosemite and none in the park.
The weather today was spectacular and I wish I could post my pictures which (finally) showed a blue sky. The outside temperature, which we monitor while we are driving, got up to 75 degrees. It will probably be in the 40s tonight and it's supposed to rain tomorrow.
I probably won't be able to read or comment on the blogs of others, but I'll catch up once we get better access. I can still get email, so I will be able to get and publish the comments that my blog receives.
Stay tuned!
sounds like perfection close to Yosemite!!.have fun..can't wait to see all the pictures once you have better internet service!
ReplyDeleteI'll make this brief. Enjoy Yosemite! :)
ReplyDeleteGlad you made it safely. Camping in fairgrounds....that is something we learned last summer...how many fairgrounds have camping areas... a lot!
ReplyDeleteTake care and enjoy Yosemite. I have a very funny story about our first and only camping trip there. Will have to write it up and post it - as long as Ron says its okay...he got very embarrassed there.
Have fun!
Sounds like you got a great site for a good price, especially since you have 3 spots! The weather is warm here in San Francisco too, got to 60 today! Enjoy your stay there!
ReplyDeleteKathy
http://seashellsandoveralls.blogspot.com
Your campsite sounds perfect. Have a wonderful time at Yosemite!
ReplyDeleteJohn
relaxedrush.blogspot.com
We are eager to see your pix of Yosemite in the winter! And fifty miles in no too far to travel given the situation.
ReplyDeleteI for one will be looking forward to your pictures of the park. Have fun.
ReplyDelete