Monday, January 17, 2011

Old Sacramento

Like many cities, Sacramento's Old Town has been revitalized into a district of restaurants, shops, and museums.  It was a good place to take a walk on Sunday afternoon.

IMG_8286

One of the highlights of Old Sacramento is the California State Railroad Museum.  I didn't go inside since we had visited it in the past.  If you like trains, this is place for you!  That's I-5 in the background.  Old Sacramento is located on the Sacramento River, just west of I-5 in downtown Sacramento.IMG_8285

Located just to the west of the railroad museum is the Sacramento History Museum.  I didn't visit this one either, but you could tour it for $5.  IMG_8278

A view down 2nd Street shows off some of the architecture of the late 1800s.IMG_8273

You can rent a loft in Old Sacramento if you want to pay a lot of money.IMG_8275

Maybe you would like to take an old-fashioned carriage ride? IMG_8288-1

Or go see a performance? IMG_8293

Or take a trip on the Wells Fargo Wagon?IMG_8306

IMG_8301

Maybe you would like to buy some candy?  Candy Heaven gives free samples!IMG_8367 

I liked looking at the old buildings.IMG_8398 IMG_8296 IMG_8282     IMG_8379

It's always fun to visit one-room schoolhouses.  That's Tower Bridge in the background.  IMG_8371

IMG_8359

From Old Sacramento, a foggy view of the state capitol building.IMG_8349

As I drove back to the I-5, I saw these downtown buildings, which were a contrast to the old buildings in Old Sacramento.

IMG_8411

Thanks for joining me on my walking tour of Old Sacramento!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tour! Are you going to meet up with Gypsy while you're in town?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the tour, havent been there im 30 years. I grew up in Sacramento and remember when the Capitol was the tallest building. When entering the city (no I-5 or I-80) across the Tower Bridge we always had to lock the doors because it was a slum area. My have things changed. Last time I was in Old Sacramento you could cover the whole place in a short afternoon and the railroad museum was still being built. Hope you had fun visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will take the carriage ride!..love all the old buildings!!..great tour..thanks for sharing your day with all of us back home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an outstanding tour Carol! I enjoyed all of your photos too.

    John
    relaxedrush.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Golly, we haven't been in Old Sacramento since we lived in the area in the 70's! And we did remember one of those buildings, the old firehouse. Now we gotta go there and see it all again. Ordinarily I would have tried to get the schoolhouse picture without the bridge in the back, but you did it right, because that Tower Bridge in part of history as well, and it fits the idea of the picture. Some time when we can get together, we'll tell you about our adventures in the bars of Old Sacramento, looking for a place that would serve us a pousse cafe. I would suppose that very few folks nowadays have even heard of a pousse cafe, and it was evident that the bars then didn't know much about them either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the visit back home Carol. Love the old buildings. This is an area I need to take Ron to. Living in Rancho Cordova in the late 60's early 70's we would go into Old Sacramento with my mom for something to do.

    Saw on Dave's post that you drink Diet Code Red...what is that? I don't think I have ever heard of it.

    Hope you have a great day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete