Friday, January 28, 2011

Elephant Seal Viewing Area

Dave and I have been in Pismo Beach for a week.  Today we decided to take a drive north up Highway 1 along the coast.  We went by the exit for Hearst Castle, but didn't visit this time since we had been there before.  The road is a long way from the castle, but I was able to get a decent, if somewhat blurry, shot from afar.

Hearst CastleIMG_8681-1

We didn't know exactly where the Elephant Seal Viewing Area was located, but as we drove a few miles north of San Simeon and Hearst Castle, we saw that it was clearly marked along Highway 1 and that there were lots of cars and people there.

This time of the year, elephant seals come here to mate and birth their young.  They don't bark like sea lions, but they make all kinds of other noises, mostly sounding (to me) like a bunch of cattle.

Elephant seals on the beach--no, they're not dead.IMG_8629

The one on the bottom left is loudly complaining!IMG_8643

This is a happy family (I think).IMG_8648

Most of the elephant seals were playing dead on the sand, but I caught these two frolicking in the water.IMG_8654

Besides seeing the elephant seals on the beach, the view of the Pacific Ocean's rocky coastline was spectacular here.IMG_8669

North of the elephant seal viewing area a working lighthouse was visible.  Of course we had to drive a few more miles up the coast to visit it.   IMG_8673

Piedras Blancas LighthouseIMG_8677

The lighthouse wasn't open today, but can be viewed on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.  Do not, however, go to the lighthouse for the tour.  It's a guided tour that meets at 9:45 am at a motel one and a half miles north of the lighthouse. 

Viewing the huge elephant seals was the highlight of our day trip today.  The male seals grow to 5000 pounds and the females reach 1500 pounds.  The adult males arrive in early December after a journey from Alaska.   The pregnant females also begin arriving in December and each one selects a comfortable location to give birth.   Eventually each male will have as many as 40 females in his harem.

The first pups are usually born around December 20 and births continue through January.  By March, the next mating season, which begins about a month after the births, is over and the adult seals head out to the ocean leaving the weaned pups to teach themselves how to swim.

8 comments:

  1. what an interesting place to visit!...thanks for all the information about the elephant seals..have they heard of 'poligamy'??..40 females to one male!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol your pictures were fantastic! You are so very blessed to be seeing so much creation all in one area.

    John
    relaxedrush.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd sure like to see those seals some day! What a great outing for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Judy...I sure would like to see the elephant seals one day! In the meantime, thanks for the great pics and interesting information.
    I can only imagine the size of the Hearst Castle. Even from a distance it was quite huge. I would love to see that one day also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We stopped to see those elephant seals on our way up the coast last fall. What a great place. Loved your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got some great shots and gave us some interesting facts. We will be in the area in April but imagine they will be gone by then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved today's post. I am all about wildlife and like seeing anything from snakes to birds. Thanks for sharing these great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed your pictures and info about the elephant seals. It is an amazing sight to see this time of year. We were there in April last year and most of them were already gone.

    ReplyDelete