Friday, July 13, 2012

Scottsbluff, NE to Cheyenne, WY

The night before we left Scottsbluff, we had quite a lightning, thunder, and rain storm.  But when we left the campground the next morning, all was well and the sky was sunny.  We drove south to Kimball and then got on I-80 west.  On the way, we saw more bluffs.IMG_4253

IMG_4255

My welcome to Wyoming picture turned out blurry and there was no time to take another one.IMG_4259

The scenery in this part of Wyoming reminded me of what I thought the Nebraska scenery would be like--basically, flat and nothing to see.  We are staying at the Cheyenne KOA for two nights.  It's located right off the freeway, but the noise of the freeway and the trains didn't bother us. IMG_4261-001

This is a fairly nice KOA, but like every site we've stayed in during the past three weeks, this park and sites are gravel.  We pulled in around noon, but by evening, most of the sites were filled.  Our only complaint about this KOA is that the water pressure is bad.  We are only getting about half the water that we usually have.    Dave said it's because the pipes are too small.

Site 33IMG_4260

Today is Friday, the 13th.  Good thing we are not superstitious!

As Dave explained in his blog, we took a walking tour of the historic downtown area of Cheyenne, but most of the old buildings had been replaced by new buildings, so the tour was kind of a bust except that it did give us some exercise.

The Old Depot building was where the tour started and was one of the more interesting original buildings.IMG_4270-001

One of the large boots in front of the depot.IMG_4269

This sculpture by Veryl Goodnight was located in front of the depot.  It was given to the citizens of Cheyenne in recognition of the role of women in settling the West, and Wyoming being the first state to grant women the right to vote.

IMG_4271

After finishing up the walking tour, we drove to the capitol and walked all around that area.  We also visited the Wyoming State Museum.

The Wyoming State CapitolIMG_4304

Every year, Cheyenne celebrates Frontier Days.  We were here a week too early for the celebration, but we drove by the frontier grounds and Lions Park.  This is indeed a frontier town, but it has grown up a lot since it's early frontier days.  Symbols of the frontier remain, however.IMG_4295

Tomorrow will be a short driving day as we drive west to Rawlins, Wyoming.

9 comments:

  1. The old prison tour in Rawlins is really worthwhile. Also, you need to go to the bakery at the back of the dented can store. I need to go find the name of it. The bakery is wonderful. I'll get the name and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just called Discount Grocery. We also ate at 1880's Cocos and had a wonderful meal and visited with some really great people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lot of bluffs going on there. I'd call 'em if I were you. The pots right, and you could walk away a big winner if you play your cards right. Ask Dave, see if he agrees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were told that Cheyenne is a cool town to see. It looks amazing. Love the boot photo.
    Safe travels tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheyenne looks like a great place to spend some time!..love the boot!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to see Cheyenne some day. Have only bee to Jackson Hole in Wyoming and loved that town. Travel safe and thanks for sharing your travels with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We really enjoyed the capital tour, thanks for the memories:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I've only blasted past Cheyenne in my travels. Glad you stopped to let me know what's there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your photos! Especially the woman bronze statue! The last time we went to the Frontier Days Rodeo one of the horses was killed in the bronc riding event and that will be the last rodeo I attend. The brutality of the events really bothered me there! I understand the necessity of what was done back in the western days, but doing those things now just for people to watch and "enjoy" isn't something I want to sponsor by paying to see it!

    Okay, I'm off my soapbox now! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit there! Did Dave get a cowboy hat and boots? lol

    ReplyDelete