Monday, July 9, 2012

Our Last Day in the Black Hills

As Dave mentioned in his blog, we had a lazy day today.  We made good use of all of our time here and last night we had a final dinner and chat with our blogger friends, Meowmomma and Hubster (Judy and Everett).  It was sad to see them go and I hope we meet up with them again in the future.

While we were in Custer, Dave and I stayed at Custer's Gulch RV Park.  It is located about three miles east of Custer, and about one mile west of the Custer State Park.  It was an excellent park with spacious sites, lots of scenery, and no highway noise.  We paid just under $40/night for full hookups, including free wifi.  We had a fire pit, but due to the burn ban, we couldn't use it. 

Site 47IMG_4138

Custer's old courthouse built in 1881 is now a museum.IMG_4142

IMG_4143

The oldest cabin in the Black Hills is also a museum.IMG_4146

Judy's favorite painted buffalo and my second favorite:IMG_4144

I slept well last night, I thought, but I woke up tired this morning.  After fixing a big breakfast, I dozed on the couch for a while.  Finally we left the motorhome and walked around the town of Custer.  That tired me out even more, so I skipped lunch (unusual for me!) and took a nap for a few hours. 

My favorite painted buffaloes:IMG_4149

I finally woke up and felt a bit more lively, so we took a late afternoon drive to Sylvan Lake.  It was only six miles each way to the lake on a road that we hadn't driven yet.  We were rewarded with a beautiful view of the lake in the waning daylight.

IMG_4154

IMG_4155

Tomorrow morning we head to Scottsbluff, Nebraska, another new state for me.  We plan to visit a couple of national monuments in that area before we start heading west towards home.

THE ENDIMG_4148

6 comments:

  1. Hope you're feeling better now. Glad you had fun with Judy and her husband. Those final two horses are BIG! Have a good trip on the road, and stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the memories, I just love it there. Next time I think we will stay in the Custer area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great last day!..sounds like you had a good day with a few naps thrown in for good measure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great way to remember Custer. Hope you are more up to par!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well now.... I didn't see that babe! sneaky of them to hide it on the inside of the street and only those taking a walk around town could see it and not the lazy drivers!!! but I still like the skeleton best!

    ReplyDelete