I had a bit of a scare last evening when my computer power cord did not seem to be working. I had only 12% power left, so I turned it off. Dave, my computer guru, looked at it and couldn't get it working. We planned to find a Radio Shack so that we could try and buy a universal power cord. This afternoon, right before we left for Radio Shack, we turned my computer back on, and lo and behold, the power was back up to 100%. I'm happy!
Since I couldn't post yesterday, I'll include a few of our pictures of our drive from Custer, SD to Scottsbluff, NE.
As everyone says, Nebraska is kind of a boring state to drive through. However, I liked seeing the mixture of green, irrigated fields contrasted with the dusty, dry prairie ranchland. I expected Nebraska to be flat, but the part we drove through (the panhandle) had rolling hills.
As Dave mentioned, we saw many railroad cards filled with coal that were just sitting on the train tracks. Thanks, Obama!
Another common sight were all these grain storage bins.
Today we left bright and early to visit Scottsbluff National Monument and Chimney Rock National Monument.
After looking at the exhibits and watching a movie in the visitor's center, we drive up to the top of Scotts Bluff. We went through three tunnels, supposedly the only three tunnels in Nebraska.
The road up the mountain and the first of the three tunnels.
On the way back down, view coming out of the tunnel.
The Oregon Trail pioneers were happy when they got to Scotts Bluff, because they were done with one third of their trek across the country.
From Scotts Bluff, we drove about 20 miles east to visit Chimney Rock National Monument. The pioneers saw Chimney Rock first, then traveled two more days to get to Scotts Bluff.
The Chimney Rock visitor's center had a movie and some interesting displays. We paid $2 each to enter after using the America the Beautiful Senior Pass. At Scotts Bluff, we got in free using the Senior Pass. Both of these national monuments are well worth a visit if you happen to be in this part of Nebraska.
We are staying in the town of Scottsbluff (spelled a bit differently than the monument) at Riverside Campground. It's a nice park, with rates of $20/night for full hookups with 50 amp and free wifi.
Tomorrow we will leave Nebraska and head to Cheyenne, Wyoming.
Scotts Bluff looks a bit like the Badlands...which we visited today.
ReplyDeleteI think I am going to like Scotts Bluff.
ReplyDeletelooks very nice there!..you got some great photos!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing the great photos. That area is interesting for it's significance to the story of the Oregon trail pioneers. Wonder what it must have been like to travel that country on foot with everything you owned in a wagon. Those tunnels didn't come easy, I'll bet. Those rock formations are tough stuff to have survived the way they have. Stay cool.
ReplyDelete$20 is a bargain price for a campsite. Do you think I could drive my small motorhome on the road with the tunnels, I don't tow a car?
ReplyDeleteWhat? Tunnels? In Nebraska? Who'd a thunk it!!!
ReplyDeleteI am glad you enjoyed the northern territory of Kansas! I don't think we talked about what you were doing in Cheyenne. Don't get fooled into going to that Little America place.. it's over advertised! But do have fun!!!
Things are still the same around the cathouse tonight... but there's definitely a lover in the mix! ;)
Love your header picture. That is quite an interesting "rock." Interesting post and I enjoyed your photos. Sure is different from here. Your campsite looks nice.
ReplyDeleteWhat an experience to see, upclose and personal, all these famous landmarks! It is especially poignant to think of the pioneers on their way, westward ho, seeing the bluff and chimney. That was a comfort and a joy, I'm sure. So glad you have been able to take in so much history on this trip.
ReplyDelete