Saturday, July 14, 2012

Rawlins, Wyoming

Dave and I left the Cheyenne KOA at 9 am on Saturday and got to our next destination, the Rawlins KOA around 12:30 pm.  The elevation at this campground is over 7000 feet, and Dave could tell that he had to do the hookups a little bit slower than usual.  High elevations still bother him. 

At the advice of a fellow blogger, Sandie Dixon, we headed to the deli/bakery in the back of Discount Grocery to have lunch.  We were surprised that the grocery part of the store was empty.  The deli was still there, but it had a sign that they are closing on July 21.  Rawlins seems to be another town that has been hit hard by the recession.

Despite that, Rawlins was having a Summerfest this afternoon.  Main Street was blocked off for a few blocks, so it was a good chance for me to walk around the downtown area without worrying about cars.  By the time I got to the festival, it was winding down.IMG_4348

IMG_4342

IMG_4339

I drove around town and saw Old Pen, Wyoming's oldest state penitentiary. I opted not to take the tour.  I understand that the conditions inside are quite gruesome, and this prison was closed in the late 1980s when they built a new, modern prison on the south side of Rawlins. 

It looks like a castle, but it was really a prison.IMG_4328

IMG_4329

IMG_4332

I took a picture of Saint Joseph Catholic Church.  A wedding was being held there this afternoon.IMG_4322

The Ten Commandments were displayed outside the church.IMG_4325

One of the Rawlin's old Victorian houses is now the Ferris Mansion Bed & Breakfast.IMG_4334

Fluffy afternoon clouds over Rawlins.  A thunderstorm is supposed to blow in tonight.IMG_4337-002

This KOA isn't anything special, but we're happy that we have good water pressure here.  As in Cheyenne, this KOA is located near I-80.  It will do for our one night stay.  Friendly hosts checked us in at both of the KOAs.

Site 15IMG_4352

One of the few trees at this KOA.  I thought it was pretty.

IMG_4353

Tomorrow's destination is Evanston, Wyoming.

7 comments:

  1. That is so sad to hear that the store and deli are closing. It was so wonderful. And the prison tour was great. If you ever get back there you might want to do that one. The guides are great about telling you stories about the prisoners. Most of them rather funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to see little towns like that lose an icon. So sad.
    I do like the tree also. Very unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the two of you are moving right along!..you will be home in no time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got caught up on your posts, great pics. For some reason we have never been in these area so I have really enjoyed your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredible looking prison...would be neat to go in...for a tour only! Rawlins looks like a very neat community. Thanks for the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hubs and the boys toured that prison once upon a time. Love that home!!! The tree looks like what we call a Russian Olive. They were popular for awhile, but didn't prove to be too hardy in KS. Looks like maybe they were tougher in WY though! Rawlins never was much of a beehive of activity any time we've stopped there but it's too bad what they did have going on is dying ou*t.... * compliments of N..... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a possibility of getting into Wyoming next summer, so we'll keep Rawlins in mind, We won't get to eat at the deli, but we just might end up in the prison!

    ReplyDelete