Today was another busy day for Dave and me. I had to get a blood test done in Rapid City, so I searched the internet and after a couple of phone calls, I found a walk-in lab. This same blood test (ProTime/INR) cost me $14 in Central California in February, but it cost me $28 today in Rapid City. I was told that I could get the results in about four hours, and we found plenty to keep us busy during that time.
The expensive lab in Rapid City.
We drove out to Ellsworth Air Force Base east of Rapid City and toured the Air and Space Museum and went on the bus tour of the base, which included a stop at a Minuteman Missile training silo. I'll let Dave tell the bulk of that story, but I took a few pictures, too.
Left: Minuteman missile, Right: B1 bomber
Everyone on the bus tour had to have their driver's license checked to make sure no one had any outstanding warrants. We were surprised when Dave's name was called, but it was because they transcribed an "O" and a "zero" on his license. Whew...we could continue the tour.
Original entrance to the silo, but we tourists were able to go around back and go down stairs instead of ladders.
The top of the nuclear warhead
A model of the missile silo that we saw:
From Ellsworth we had lunch at Hardees which was memorable only because I used to eat at a Hardees when I lived in Illinois in 1974 and I remember that hamburgers cost fifteen cents each then. We didn't realize until we saw the Hardees logo that out west we call the place Carl's Jr.
After lunch, we drove across town to the Chapel in the Hills, a replica of a Norwegian stavkirche (wooden church). I am interested in all things Norwegian since my maternal grandmother was Norwegian.
Our first glimpse of the church, as it blended into the surrounding trees. The grounds of the chapel were a wonderful respite on this hot afternoon.
Front of the church
As we entered the nave of the church, we heard an audio tape playing the hymn, "My God How Wonderful Thou Art". The music was beautiful and fitting for this occasion. The audio went on to tell us some details about the church, which is still used for nightly vespers.
The bell tower was located behind the church.
The granary, with its sod roof, now houses a gift shop containing many handmade items.
A typical Norwegian cabin, now a museum, was also on the property. Outside the cabin we saw Ole...
...and his wife, Lena, keeping Ole in line.
We had one more stop before returning to Labcorp to pick up my ProTime results. Thimble Cottage is a quilt shop owned by designer Pearl Louise Krush. Pearl was in the shop today and she autographed her Sunbonnet Sue Designs book that I purchased.
Tomorrow morning we will move the motorhome to Custer's Gulch Campground in Custer, in order to be closer to all the activities around Mount Rushmore.
Thanks for the revisit:) We camped at the Air Base and did the air museum and the chapel. Both very interesting.
ReplyDeletethat is quite the church!.what an amazing piece of architecture!!!
ReplyDeleteIn all our visits to SD we have never been to the air base. Need to put that on our list. If you get up to Hill City - be sure to have lunch at the Alpine Inn. It was fantastic the last time we were there.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the revisit. We too spent a week at Ellsworth's Fam Camp in 2010 -- we also saw the museum and the chapel. Be safe in your travels!
ReplyDeleteNice! Thanks for sharing all the great photos and your stories. Glad Dave didn't get hauled off!
ReplyDeleteI wonder if you were in the thimble shop yesterday when we drove by it!?! I thought to myself to make a mental note of it to tell you since I had noticed you were doing some quilting on previous blogs... but did I remember that mental note today! N.O. So I'm very glad you found it all on your own!!!
ReplyDeleteWe went to that little church 40 years ago when we were here! It still looks the same!