What a great weekend we have had. On Friday night and Saturday night we watched the WHL Western Champions Portland Winterhawks play the Eastern Champions Kootenay Ice at Portland's Rose Garden arena. Both teams won their conference championship and are now competing in a best of seven series. Portland won in overtime Friday night, and Kootenay won on Saturday. On Tuesday and Wednesday the teams will play each other in Kootenay, B.C., then next Friday, the 13th of May, they will meet again in Portland to play at the Rose Garden. We are going to try and get tickets for that game. Our 3-week old granddaughter, Sophie, slept contentedly in her mother's arms through both games.
To celebrate Mother's Day, Tim and Kiersten (and Sophie) took Dave and me out for dinner at Stanford's at Lloyd Center before Saturday's game.
Today was a mixed weather day--a bit of sun, lots of rain, and some hail. Dave and I drove 20 miles north on I-5 to Woodland, WA and went to the Hulda Klager Lilac Gardens and the Holland America Tulip Festival. Both the gardens and the festival had been extended for another week because of the wet, gloomy weather in April.
We took a tour of the inside of the Hulda Klager's house and learned more about her and her lilac gardens. She was born in 1863 and lived for 97 years.
This house was built by Hulda Klager's father in 1903.
Then, it was on to the Tulip Festival, which was a treat because we thought it had ended on 4-30-11.
These large yellow tulips were my favorites.
Who is this handsome, smiling gentleman? If it weren't him, I wouldn't be celebrating Mother's Day today!
This picture was taken of the fields across from the festival. Note the ominous sky over over the hills in the background.
You know I never miss a chance to take a picture of an American flag!
To cap off this fine day, after we got home our younger son, Jonathan, called to wish me a happy Mother's Day. It's always good to hear from him!
GO HAWKS!
Happy Mother's Day, Carol!..sounds like you had a great weekend..nice to see the tulips are still in bloom!!!
ReplyDeleteWe do love those fields of tulips! We've not seen that particular festival, but we have been to another one up your way somewhere -- can't remember which one. Hey, if it weren't for fathers, none of us would be here. That was a nice mention of yours on Mothers Day!
ReplyDeleteGoodness, i need to get to the valley, those flowers are wonderful and my fav are lilacs!!!!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had a great Mother's Day weekend. Love all the colors of the tulips.
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a good Mother's day. The flower pictures are great. I love yellow tulips also and have them on my header.
ReplyDeleteLove the pictures. I wasn't aware of that tulip festival. Another thing to add to the list (sigh!). The list is getting so long, I'm going to have to live to a ripe old age.
ReplyDeleteBet it was fun celebrating Kiersten's first Mother's day.
Looks like you had a great Mother's Day weekend! The tulip gardens are beautiful and I know ya'll enjoyed them a lot. I hope you get the tickets to the third game.
ReplyDelete