Speaking of Utah, I was impressed with the wide, spacious streets of the towns that we visited. I understand they were planned that way in order for buggies and wagons to be able to turn around on the streets. The first town where I noticed the wide streets was Nephi. We went for a bike ride there and we were able to ride on the main street because it was so wide. Then I noticed the same thing in St. George, Hurricane, Bluff, Moab, Richfield, and Brigham City. To me, it felt midwestern because that's the way my hometown of Osage, Iowa was laid out, even though it wasn't settled by Mormons. It definitely made me nostalgic!
The other thing that reminded me of growing up in the midwest was that many businesses and restaurants were closed on Sunday in Utah. Even the RV park office in St. George was closed on Sunday. This used to be common when I was young, but gradually that custom has gone by the wayside, and we just expect that places will be open on Sunday.
I also noticed the lack of litter and graffiti in those towns. I'm sure the cities have their share of crime and drugs, etc., but it wasn't evident. Theologically, I don't believe what the Mormons believe, but I do think they know how to run their cities and their states.
Wildflowers at Capitol Reef National Park
Wow, Carol you really hit the nail on the head. We have also been so impressed with the way St George is laid out - the wide streets- and the total lack of crime. It takes a while for that sense of "safeness" to settle in - but when it does...it is very comforting. We also remark - almost every morning- "wow! that's blue sky AGAIN. I like it!"
ReplyDeleteWe have really enjoyed our visits to Utah,and look forward to more of them once we get over some medical humps.
ReplyDeleteWe also commented on the wide streets in Brigham City and Salt Lake City. It is definitely a clean area and of course the weather was great when we were there too, late October early November.
ReplyDeleteWill be sending you an email tonight as soon as I find out for sure what our day(s) off are next week. Looking forward to meeting up with you.