Sunday, May 23, 2010

Getting Back to the Chores

I spent an exciting day cleaning the house.  It didn't get a good cleaning before we left on our trip, so it needed to be cleaned.  Now we get to enjoy the fruits of my labor until it gets messed up again.  That is one nice thing about the motorhome, it still needs to be cleaned, but it only takes about 10 minutes to clean it, the inside anyway--the outside is another story. 

One nice thing about being home is being able to park in the garage which is attached to the house.  Since it has been raining ever since we got home, it's nice not to get wet getting to the car.  Another thing that is nice is getting back to my full-sized washer and dryer.  I absolutely loved have the Splendide unit in the motorhome as we never had to go out to do laundry during our trip.  But we kept that little machine going!  I still haven't quite figured out how to get the clothes to come out unwrinkled, especially jeans and slacks.  I've tried everything from different settings to washing just one pair at a time, but it seems that some fabrics wrinkle more than others.  Yet I can wash those same fabrics at home and they don't come out wrinkled.  What am I doing wrong?

One of the things I had to do when I got home was go to the Kaiser lab and get a Pro-Time test.  Ever since my heart valve replacement surgery last year, I have been on Coumadin blood thinner medication and will have to take it the rest of my life because they don't want to take a chance that blood clots will develop.  It's not a problem to take the medication, and it's one of the Walmart $4 drugs, so it's not expensive.  But I have to have my levels checked every 4 weeks or so to make sure that I'm taking the correct amount to keep my blood thin enough.  I was able to put off the lab work for 6 weeks in order to take the trip.  I could have had it checked along the way, but that means filling out paperwork, finding a different lab, paying for the lab work, etc.  No thanks!  But it does mean that we will be limited to trips of six weeks or less unless I get the lab work thing all figured out.  I don't want to drive to Alaska unless we can take three months or so and do it right, so we'll have to put that trip off for now. 

Dave is going to try and figure out his sleeping at high altitude problem.  Jerry suggested trying a CPAP machine and mask, someone else suggested using oxygen at night.  He will talk to his VA doctor and try to figure something out.  In the meantime, we'll stay at lower elevations. 

The Grand Circle trip that we just completed was originally planned to be a trip to Yellowstone and Mount Rushmore.  Somehow it morphed into a trip to St. George, Las Vegas, and the Grand Circle.  That turned out to be providential, because Dave might have had a very hard time enduring the high elevation of Yellowstone National Park and the surrounding area.  Things always work out for a reason, we just don't always know the reason!

      Wildflowers at Capitol Reef National Park


6 comments:

  1. Hi Carol: I have the Splendide W/D and it took some getting used to. I wash all the clothes on the delicate setting and not the Perm. Press cycle. When I wash jeans I only put 1 pair in and then only 1 other item (like a shirt). That seems to keep wrinkles to a minimum Also, I don't let the dry cycle come on automatically. I only set the wash cycle and then when it is time for the dry cycle I first open the washer and take things out and shake them out. I put them back in and set the dryer. I dry the clothes on the setting for 100 minutes. They come out OK this way. If I dry things at less drying time they are very wrinkled.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are back in the swing of things at home. It is nice to be able to clean the motorhome in 10 minutes. I sometimes think I've missed something I'm done so fast.
    I don't think you are doing anything wrong with the Splendide...I have the same trouble. I sometimes will actually take pants & jeans to the laundromat at the campground (if it is a nice one). I hang up my T-shirts too. Its just the nature of the beast.
    I understand the Coumadin...my mother took that for several years after her first stroke. It is great stuff.
    You all take care!

    Mike & Gerri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzy takes Coumadin daily also, and has to get labs done while on the road. Now that we are both on Medicare, with an AARP supplement, we don't have to pay lab fees as we travel, and sometimes the paperwork is minimal. Sometimes a few people with broomsticks inserted down below make it awkward. But, it's a small discomfort if it allows extended travel! While we were still covered under Kaiser, Suzy got a travel prescription from her doctor that at least gave the various labs the info they needed. We did a long trip to Alaska under that regime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margie,
    Thanks for all the valuable hints with the Splendide. I am so glad I read all these blogs. You learn so much. :)

    Gerri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Margie, thanks for your advice! Like Gerri, I am happy to learn things from other RVers.

    Gerri, thanks for your comments, too! I thought about using the campground laundromats to wash jeans (and bedding!) but I wanted to try and see if I could do it all in the motorhome.

    Jerry, I appreciate the advice about the Coumadin and being able to travel!

    It's great when people comment. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carol

    Ron's mom was on Coumadin for many years and did well on it.

    I am like you...I love getting comments on my blog. I have also put a stat counter on my blog and see the different areas people are in when they read my blog. It is quite interesting. It's free and I got it from statcounter.com.

    Wishing you a great day!

    ReplyDelete