Monday, May 10, 2010

Natural Bridges National Monument by way of Valley of the Gods


This monument is part of Valley of the Gods, and since I don't know it's official name, I am calling it "The Hand of God".

Before I talk about today's journeys, let me say thank you to Jerry and Suzy and Mike and Gerri for your nice comments about yesterday's post about Mesa Verde National Park!  I appreciate comments, and am especially happy when people react positively to what I post. 

If you are thinking about going to Mesa Verde National Park, don't worry that you might not be able to hike and climb in and out of the cliff dwellings.  This park has much to see from the overlook areas.  You will have to get out of the car to see the views from the overlooks, but you don't have to do the ranger-led tours.  The only cliff dwellings we couldn't see from the overlooks were Balcony House and Long House.  Long House doesn't open until Memorial Day, so I don't know if it's visible without going on the tour.  The archeological museum alone is worth the trip to Mesa Verde.  Other sights to see are the pit dwellings and pueblo remains.  These homes of the Ancestral Puebloans, formerly called by the now politically incorrect name Anasazi, are an inspiring sight to see!

Even though we had a long day yesterday, we were game to go on another day trip today to see Natural Bridges National Monument.  We decided to visit Valley of the Gods on the way there.
 Valley of the Gods is a smaller version of the famous Monument Valley.  This photo shows the gravel road that we took to see Valley of the Gods.  The road was deceptively good at the beginning.  Many miles later, we finally came to the end of the this road, which deteriorated as it went through washes.  Valley of the Gods is located about 12 miles southwest of the town of Bluff and ends up connecting with the road to Natural Bridges.



After driving many miles on gravel roads and seeing no other cars on the road, we finally came to this sign of civilization.
But this B&B was in sad shape and was closed, with no sign of life around.  We kept driving and soon came to the paved road which lead us to Natural Bridges National Monument, but not before we climbed a 10% narrow, unpaved grade.  Finally after many more miles, we came to an oasis called a ranger station.  An 85-year old volunteer host assured us that it was only 10 more miles to the national monument.  When we arrived at the monument (whew!) we watched a short video at the visitor's center and then went on the 9-mile drive to see the three natural bridges visible from the overlooks.  We weren't in the mood to go on any long hikes.
A welcome sign which indicated that we had arrived at today's destination.
Sipapu Natural Bridge
Kachina Bridge
Owachomo Natural Bridge
The natural bridges were interesting to see, and I know they are unique, but to be honest, we were underwhelmed at the sight of them.  The canyons might have been more interesting to us if we had not already visited the Grand Canyon.  So we finished the drive, drove back to Bluff via Blanding, and called it a day.
Arriving back in Bluff, Utah, after a tiring day.

2 comments:

  1. Carol, my first comment went out into cyberspace someplace. :(

    I love your photos again, as usual. You have shown off the natural beauty of these places very well. I am not into real hiking, but walking out to the look-outs is just fine. I assume that is the only way to really grasp the true beauty.

    Thanks for sharing your day with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, isn't it amazing what wind and water can do! There are those that insist that God created the world exactly as it is today (except for the damage we have done to it over the past few centuries). I'll agree with the hand of God in creation, but it's His hand at work pushing the wind and water that did the fantastic splendor we see all around us. He uses all His creation as tools! And He does a good job!

    ReplyDelete