On Friday I had to go for a diabetic eye screening at Kaiser. My eyesight hasn't changed much which is good news. The bad news is that I have the beginnings of a cataract and some swelling which indicates the beginning of glaucoma. The eye doctor assured me that neither are worth worrying about right now, but they will keep tabs on me and recheck my eyes next year. I go back in a week or two to get a screening test of my peripheral vision. That test will either confirm the findings or show that the previous tests were faulty. It's hard not to worry about how these eye problems might affect me. I enjoy reading and I enjoy using the computer and I enjoy watching TV. And I like the independence that driving gives me. I've always said that I would rather lose my hearing than my eyesight. I'll just have to wait and see what happens. Evidently, in my case, neither problem is related to diabetes.
This afternoon we went to a barbecue birthday party for our friend, Jeff, who suffers from a glioblastoma brain tumor. He's lasted this long but things don't look good for the future. It puts things into perspective for me. Here I am whining about possible future eye problems, and this young man (age 46) is about to lose his battle with cancer. He will leave behind his wife and three young children. He is a believer, which makes things easier, but still heart-wrenching for those who love him. So it's all a matter of perspective and I am thankful that my problems are small ones in comparison!
4/3/10--Woodland, WA Tulip Festival
Cataracts take a very long time to do much in the way of a problem, and they are reasonably easy for an ophthalmologist to deal with, we've been assured. Both Suzy and I have the beginnings of cataracts, but they are certainly not a problem at this stage. Take heart, Carol, you are in good hands with Kaiser in the Pacific Northwest. Be glad you aren't dealing with Kaiser in California!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Jerry & Suzy that cataracts progress very slowly. Mike's mom has been watched now for over 6 years and they still don't need surgery. Medicine has progressed so far I really feel they will take care of this problem.
ReplyDeleteI do understand your concern. My Dad had Macular Degeneration and just before he passed away at the age of 93 he would tell the Dr. that he only wished he could see again.
I am so sorry to hear about the young man with cancer. That is always so tragic. It puts alot of things in perspective for all of us now doesn't it??? We need to all count our blessings. You will be ok and I will keep you in my prayers that your eyesight will remain strong.:)
Mike & Gerri