Friday, October 30, 2009
I am reading a fascinating book, In This House of Brede, by Rumer Godden. It was originally published in 1969 but reissued by Loyola Press in 2005. It's the story of a woman in who enters a cloistered Benedictine community at the age of 42 after a successful life as a businesswoman in London. This fiction book rings true and this statement from the back cover sums up the book: "Rumer Godden penetrates the mysterious, inner heart of a religious community--a place of complexity and conflict, as well as joy and love." I'm not Roman Catholic and never have been, but I've always been fascinated by stories about nuns and convents. After I finish this long book (656 pages) I would like to read more of Rumer Godden's work. From the biographical introduction included in the book, her story is almost as interesting as her fiction.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment