Monday, February 10, 2014

Meeting New Friends, Rain, and Oso Flaco Lake

Dave and I have been avidly watching the winter Olympics, and blog posting has taken a back seat.  To give me an excuse for vegetating in front of the TV set, I began crocheting an afghan.  We’ll see how much I get done between now and the end of the Olympic games.!

While our home area of Vancouver, WA, endured   snow and freezing rain last weekend, here in Pismo Beach, CA, we had rain on Super Bowl Sunday, and then again on Thursday and Saturday, and a bit of rain yesterday.  California is still in drought conditions, but hopefully this rainfall will help a bit to build the snowpack in the mountains.

Last Monday, we enjoyed a visit from new friends, Joe and Betty Graffis from Milwaukie, Oregon.  I’ve been reading Betty’s blog and when Betty mentioned that they would be traveling along the coastal route on their way to Desert Hot Springs, I suggested that maybe we could meet up with them.

Joe and Betty Graffis on a windy afternoon at the Pismo Beach PierIMG_2356

Betty agreed, and we had a wonderful visit with both of them after they got into town.  They were just here for one night, but we had enough time to get to know each other a bit and to agree to future visits when we are all back home again. 

Enjoying a late lunch with Betty and Joe at Cool Cat Café in Pismo BeachIMG_2357

Betty and Joe are a very interesting couple.  He actively participates in horseshoe tournaments, plays pickleball, and when at home, enjoys using the computer to do flight simulation.  Betty is a whiz on the computer and the internet, including social media, and as she puts it, “likes electronic gadgets”.  02-03-14 Joe and Betty Graffis

This fine couple found each other late in life.  They are almost still newlyweds and will celebrate their 10th anniversary in June.  

Betty meets up with an old friend at the Pismo Pier.IMG_2354

Joe took this picture of Dave and me during our walk with them at Pismo Pier.02-03-14 Pismo Beach

A week or so before meeting Joe and Betty, Dave and I went for annual walk at Oso Flaco Lake in Guadalupe.  A boardwalk goes over the lake and usually we can see several types of birds.IMG_2293

As the walk progresses, the trail heads on to an overlook of the ocean.  I never get tired of seeing the dunes along the way.IMG_2299

IMG_2308

As we retraced our steps back across the lake, this is what we saw:IMG_2312-001

There is no more rain in the ten-day forecast.  The high temperatures are predicted to be in the high-60s and low-70s, with lows in the mid-40s to low-50s.  Life is grand!

Sunset at Pismo BeachIMG_2102

7 comments:

  1. A.though we have welcomed the rain here in the Santa Cruz mtns. it was nice today to see the sun and not hear the rain patter on the roof. Itgets old after a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I follow Betty's blog also. Glad you got to meet up with them. Gorgeous sunset picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to meet up with fellow bloggers. I have not posted anything to my blog. San Antonio is having a cold spell and I spend most of my time with my grand daughter. I need to get out sightseeing and write some blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With the sun shining so brightly, Oso Flaco Lake looks so lovely.

    I bet Betty and Joe are wonderful people!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those white pelicans sure look good! Those pelicans were my high school mascots in Klamath Falls, OR. Sure is nice to see all that blue sky and sunshine there where you are enjoying it all. Glad to see that Betty and Joe were able to get together with you, and Dave was such a big help to them, according to Betty's blog post. Sure nice to know that there is still a way for folks who live in the Pacific Northwest to find sunshine in the winter. All we need to do is figure out how we can make that work for us! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to visit that boardwalk and see the birds and the beautiful scenery. Glad you had a nice visit with Joe and Betty.

    ReplyDelete