Monday, February 17, 2014

Catching Up

Our younger granddaughter, Anya, celebrated her 1st birthday on Saturday.  A week earlier, Sophie, her almost 3-year-old sister, had fun playing in the snow.  Anya didn’t look too sure about it. Photo Feb 08, 12 25 53 PM

IMG_20140206_141854-001

Anya is on the inside looking out.IMG_20140206_142443-001

We missed all the excitement but we will catch up with them when we return home next month.

We had a quiet Valentine’s Day, but celebrated the day before with spectacular weather and a drive to nearby Port San Luis for lunch on the patio at Fat Cat’s Café.IMG_2390-001

Port San Luis is one of the few places near Pismo Beach where we can see boats in the water.IMG_2395

IMG_2396-001

Thursday was also the day that Dave was finally able to rent a Segway.  We weren’t allowed to share the Segway, so I tried it first to see if I wanted to rent one, too.  I decided that I didn’t since I had trouble balancing on it.  That freed me to take pictures of Dave.

Getting instructions from Kenny at Wheel Fun Rentals in Pismo Beach.IMG_2371

Dave is a quick learner, so he was soon riding on the beach.  These rental Segways have big tires that are made for riding on the beach.IMG_2375-001

IMG_2378-001

IMG_2386

After taking a few pictures of Dave, I went for a walk on the beach.  The sun felt good and there was no wind, which is unusual at the beach.IMG_2379

The Pismo Creek lagoon next to Pismo Coast Village RV Resort was scenic and calm.IMG_2388-001

Dave enjoyed learning to ride the Segway and I enjoyed my walk on the beach.  After Dave returned the Segway, we headed for Port San Luis.

Another day we went for a 3.5 mile hike at nearby Johnson Ranch.  This hike was fun but a stretch for us and we were both tired with various body parts sore when we returned.  The trail is also used by mountain bikers and we were amazed when the bikers whizzed through the steep and rocky sections of the trail.  No, thanks!

Our park was very busy over the long weekend, and today we are watching many of them leave.  The park changes on weekends when all the families arrive, and quiets down again during the week—just the way we like it!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Sophie and Anya are getting so big. Hard to believe Sophie is almost three. Cute pictures.

    I think the Segway looks like fun but I too would be unsure of my balance. Fun to watch though and it looks like Dave was having a grand time. And the beach looks just beautiful. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd rather be walking too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave looks like he's right at home on that thing! He could patrol the beach as a volunteer...maybe get a free rental. If he wore one of his zebra striped shirts, he'd really look official, wouldn't he? Beautiful photos of the sand and sun, Carol. Thanks for sharing. We'd take more pictures here, but you know what rain looks like, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well aren't you two living the good life. I am not sure I would do a Segway either. I probably could balance it fine but not sure I would be able to control it. Paul said he would love to do it.

    The girls are sure having fun in the snow. But for me....they can keep it...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. My balance is lousy so I know there is no way I could ever ride one of them things. Jim, of course, would be more than ready to go for it. The girls are so cute but I'd be inside with Anya looking out at that snow.

    ReplyDelete